Fuel leak problem found

Michael Mattix

SCCoA Member
Hey again everyone. I hope everyone had a nice holiday and everyone made it back in one piece. Anyhoo, I have found what was causing my fuel leak just ahead of my right rear tire. Rear fuel lines. I guess they rubbed the frame over 84,000 miles. Here are some pics to check it out after Santa was nice and I finally have a digital camera!

Attachments

• Rear Fuel Lines with location.JPG
    Rear Fuel Lines with location.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Pinhole 2nd line.JPG
    Pinhole 2nd line.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 154
Michael Mattix said:
Hey again everyone. I hope everyone had a nice holiday and everyone made it back in one piece. Anyhoo, I have found what was causing my fuel leak just ahead of my right rear tire. Rear fuel lines. I guess they rubbed the frame over 84,000 miles. Here are some pics to check it out after Santa was nice and I finally have a digital camera!

hey mike.. hows it going? congrats on the cam :D now, where exactly were the lines rubbing? im thinking it wouldnt be a bad idea to check mine soon.. hehe

Moses

Not too bad. You? I'm not sure where the lines were rubbing because I paid someone to replace them. That is why I made a circle on the zoomed out picture to show you where they rubbed on the lines. I asked them if the new lines looked like they were going to rub in the same place and they said no. We'll see in another 84k. Maybe they rubbed together? I don't really know. Sorry.

You guys do know that this was a recall at least on our 2, 93`s. Just called the recall center and told them the vin#. Went to dealer next day and they replaced them all for free. Save your recipt and call them for rembursement.

Well, I did know that there was a recall. But, someone on here told me that it only applied to the 89-93's. I was under the assumption that the 94-95's weren't included. But, it wouldn't hurt to call ford this next week. I'll find out.

scbird1 said:
You guys do know that this was a recall at least on our 2, 93`s. Just called the recall center and told them the vin#. Went to dealer next day and they replaced them all for free. Save your recipt and call them for rembursement.

i thought recalls only lasted a certain amount of years :confused:

Update: I contacted Ford about my fuel line problem and my 1995 is not contacted under any fuel line abrasion recall. The recall number most people have been refering me too seems to be 97S84. But, that recall (according to Alldata.com) is for 1992/1993 tbirds/cougars. I contacted Ford to ask them to do research to find out if maybe all years of SC's should be covered. I know, I know, they probably won't do anything. But, I was thinking, if anyone out there that had their fuel lines replaced and has pictures/still has the fuel lines, they ought to contact Ford and let them know. If a lot of us contact Ford, it probably would be better. Maybe I need to start a new thread about this since it seems I'm hijacking my own thread. Should it go into Technical or Non-Technical Forums? I would really like to get anyone and everyone on board with this. I'll try over at TCCOA as well, if the fuel lines are the same ones.

Same lines at the rear for all 94 - 97 Birds and Cougars. The 89 - 93 lines all change up to the 94 - up number, which was not supposed to have that problem. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned on your original thread about this, my 95 sprung a leak about 3 years ago, but not from rubbing contact, more from corrosion from our lovely winter road salting here.

cheers,
Ed N.

Ed,
You read my mind! That was the next thing I was going to post was to ask you if you could tell me what other tbird/cougars had the same fuel lines....THANKS!

Back