aod slipping???

ThunderDave

Well, I had the Tranny rebuilt right after buying the car. Now a year and a half later, after the warranty has expired, the overdrive is acting weird. Does ok when upshifting into od, but in downshifting, when it gets to the point of shifting out of od into drive, it seems to slip and if I don't let off the gas, the motor will rev up.

Did the transmission guy miss something or does the od just not last long? Don't have the bucks to put it in the shop right now, so just wondering how long I can drive it like this if I'm careful with it? Also, assuming the tranny guy didn't miss anything, what can cause this problem?

Thanks,

David

Sounds like your TV pressure is too low. Mine did the same thing, then I tightened the TV cable as tight as I could without inhibiting Throttle plate movement. Solved my problem. Give that a shot.

Jason

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
Sounds like your TV pressure is too low. Mine did the same thing, then I tightened the TV cable as tight as I could without inhibiting Throttle plate movement. Solved my problem. Give that a shot.

Jason

Thanks for the suggestion. Where is the tv cable located?? :confused:

I don't want to mess with the wrong thing and make it worse.

Thanks,

David

In this attached image it shows the TV cable location. On this page http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html# it has a tech article on how to adjust it. But when you do it, push the little tab up with a screwdriver and it'll come loose, then have someone floor the accelerator and pull the tv cable as far out as you can then push the tab back in and you're done. This is how I was told to do it and I haven't had any problems thus far with it.

Jason

Attachments

• DSC00569.JPG
    DSC00569.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 73
hey david let me knwo when yoru ready to get that 03 stang tranny in there :D

I know a yard close to you that has one with 15k on it for $450!

Tyler

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
hey david let me knwo when yoru ready to get that 03 stang tranny in there :D

I know a yard close to you that has one with 15k on it for $450!

Tyler

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!! :D I'll try this first and see how it goes. Other than this, the tranny does great. I guess it's possible that it wasn't adjusted right after the tranny was put back in or it somehow got out of adjustment since then.

BTW, how is that stang tranny holding up??? Good enough to beat up on bow ties :D :D :eek: :D :cool:

David

Last edited:
Replacing an aod with a 4r70w is alot of work and will require some very expensive electronics. I would sooner build the aod with 4r gearset and alot of other expensive parts. The 03 tranny would be worth having to rob parts from ,but for the most part you are going to have to build an aod or spend alot of money on a baumann conversion. There is only one proper way to adjust those cables. you need a pressure guage and a guage block to hold the cable out.

Last edited:
Thanks Dirtydog for your comments on the TV cable adjustment. I've been preaching just what you've said for years now but it seems like no body listens, since you're a bona fide tranny man maybe they'll listen to you.(they should!)
I get so saddened by reading coments from people instructing others to just yank the cable out to full travel or just move the cable setting back and forth until it feels good. Those people are doing a BIG injustice to the poor person having trouble. The TV cable setting is VERY critical and you can destroy an AOD in minutes if not seconds by adjusting the cable anyother way than using a pressure gauge. I'm not one bit surprised by all the AOD failures that are talked about here, just look at the way they treat it. Those very same people would not tune or adjust anything else in the powertrain of there car in the way they do this tranny, and when it fails because of this willy nilly treatment of course its always the piss poorly designed AOD....BS!!!!! I'm just simply amazed that guy's will spend countless hours debating the merits of this spark plug verses that spark plug or even plug wires or mufflers for that matter. But when it comes to the AOD tranny they will recomend and do some of the stupidest things I've ever seen. :( :(

MIKE 38sc said:
Those people are doing a BIG injustice to the poor person having trouble. :( :(

That's me, the poor person. :D

Thanks for the info Dirtyd0g and Mike. Where can I get one of these pressure gauges & guage block you are speaking about and what is the process for setting the tv cable properly?

Thanks so much!

David

Last edited:
Mike I'm with you 100%. I have installed literally hundreds of these transmissions from my days of working on taxi's. The biggest key I have found to keeping them out is proper cable adjustment. I have had buddies turn them up against my advice and then wonder why 2 weeks later they are starting to slip in OD.

Dave,

Whatever you do, don't take it to All Transmissions in FL!!!!!!!

My transmission guy back here set my TV cable when he re-did the crappy work that All did while I was on vacation and I have had no problems.

Don't let anyone mess with that adjustment except someone that has experience with it!!!!

You might get one of the local tranny shops to adjust it for you for a small fee. :D

I've had very good service with Cottman here in Charlotte.

Maybe they can reccomend someone up in your neck of the woods.

Eddie

then I tightened the TV cable as tight as I could without inhibiting Throttle plate movement. Solved my problem.

Right or wrong...This is exactly what I was told to do by Lentech when installing their Street Terminator VB and 9.5 non locking converter on my 91 SC.

The new Lentech AOD in my 93 doesn't use the TV cable for line pressure...since I'm using a Strip Terminator VB line pressure is fixed and the TV cable only affects what RPM it shifts at.

David

That would be true in your case David because Lentech has highly modified your tranny. But the original poster said nothing about having a Lentech, so I assumed he was talking about a stock tranny in which case that would not be good advice.

Whether it was right or wrong to do, it was what I was told to do. And I have not had any problems with my OD since I did that. And while I do believe the best way is to take it in to have the pressures checked, this method would definately hold him over till he can get his car in to the shop to have it done properly. Me, I didn't bother since I am awaiting a TCI Trans with 2400 stall and possibly a Lentech VB anyway. Guess I should've clarified this in my original post.

Yes, it's a stock aod with a B&M shift kit. I'll see if I can go by an trans. shop where an old co worker of mine works at. I'll stay away from Florida Eddie. Don't need to go through what you went through with your trans.

David

Back