IC Tube re-connecting ??

mlbuxbaum

I'm going to finish re-assembling the motor tomorrow and need to know a few things. :confused:
1. The IC tubes, do they need a gasket or sealant on them when I re-attach them? They had some sort of "crusty goo" on them when I took them off.
2. The plenum to the SC, is there a gasket for this or should I use some type of RTV sealant?

A thin bead of rtv should sufice on the tubes and the top. On the tubes I put it on a little bit heavier. The top is machined so only a very thin layer to seal. There is also a member selling reusable gaskets which are proven great, though I have not bought them yet.
Scroll down a bit here for the gaskets-texasthunderbirds.com
Good luck,
Tom

I have a set of teflon seals from texasthunderbirds, as NorthrnSCownr stated. They work goood.. u can take off your IC as many times as you'd like and can re-use the seals.. I'd say its a good investment.. plus they are affortable..

I used (and will use) TexasThunderbirds gaskets as well and they do work good.

But if you're in a pinch you can seal using RTV. The recommendation by most folks is Permatex Copper High Temp RTV. It's a high temp RTV sealant. A bead of about 1/16" of an inch to seal the tubes. A much thinner coat can be used on other mating surfaces like the SC top or your plenum.

I also agree with what has been stated. For now use just regular sealant...but get ur self some of those reusable gaskets...no hassle, they fit right in and you dont have to worry about sealing issues EVER.

Back