IAC valve???

SCFan84

Ok i had the car running the other day and took it out for a quick spin. I came back and stopped at the mailbox and put it in park. Put it back into drive and it stalled out. Started it and it idled rough, kinda bounced a bit then smoothed out. It's the only time it's done it and hasn't done it really since except for when you first start it up. It idles rough kinda the tach bounces a bit then settles down. Is this normal if the IAC needs to be changed. I just upgraded the injectors to 36lb. and a 73mm C&L MAF. It hasn't stalled on me since that once but it started hard the time it did. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Guys, Cole :confused:

The idle probably just needs a little tweaking. There is a FAQ in the members section that details how to properly adjust the idle.

BTW, the more mods you do the more of this kind of thing your going to have to put up with. I started my 91 for the first time in a couple weeks yesterday and it flooded, sputtered, smoked (fuel) and stumbled for about a minute before I could even keep it running without holding my foot on the gas.

David

Ok i remember when i took my Throttle Body off I had to disconnect the lines attached to it. Mine has 3 Throttle links in it. The 2 on the bottom are attached to each other then there is another 1 on top by itself. WHen i took the top one off i accidently broke the little black think that holds it in place. Could that be why it did that. I may also need to disconnect the battery for a while to erase any memory of the 30lb. injectors that were on it. I read somewhere that you should do that. I don't know but any help is appreciated and thank you David for your input.

SCFan84 said:
Ok i remember when i took my Throttle Body off I had to disconnect the lines attached to it. Mine has 3 Throttle links in it. The 2 on the bottom are attached to each other then there is another 1 on top by itself. WHen i took the top one off i accidently broke the little black think that holds it in place. Could that be why it did that. I may also need to disconnect the battery for a while to erase any memory of the 30lb. injectors that were on it. I read somewhere that you should do that. I don't know but any help is appreciated and thank you David for your input.

The two bottom cables are throttle the control cables from the gas pedal and the cruise control. The one on the top is the TV cable for the transmission. It is very important that it doesn't fall off or you will burn your transmission up very quickly. I'm not sure I understand what broke off, but you probably need to get a replacement.

None of those cables have anything to do with setting the idle. I'm talking about adjusting the throttle plate and air bypass bleeder screw. Here's a link to the article I'm talking about.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31596

David

Last edited:
Tere is a little black ring that sit's in the trottle cable thing. The top cable that is the TV cable for the transmission has a little black ring that allows the cable to stay snapped to the throttle body. The black clip broke. I hope this doesn't hurt anything. I rigged a red plastic ring to keep it in. I'll see if i can get pics :rolleyes:

Ford sells an upgrade kit to hold the TV cable onto the throttle linkage. It includes a brass bushing that replaces the plastic grommet on the TB linkage and a steel clip pin that holds the cable adjuster assembly in the bronze bushing.

Don't have the Ford number, But Scott Long bought a dozen of them for a couple bucks each and passed them out to everyone with an AOD at one of our meets in STL.

David

Last edited:
Back