What transmission fluid?

tim

I am going to change my transmission fluid before I run the car again in the spring. Has anybody used syntethic fluid? I have seen read and heard that you can gain real hp. to the rear wheels. I am already running it in the engine, also wonder if it is better in the rear end? Thanks Tim

Redline D4

I use Redlines synthetic fluid in my 5 speed, I used it with no friction modifier, been about 8 months maybe longer, no ill effects, and seems to me to shift smoother than it did before, my 2 cents, THanks mIke

Tim the best thing I have found for your transmission is dexIII with a bottle of red lubeguard in it. The manual transmissions (m5) I always recommend GM syncromesh in them.

I'm running Mobile1 sythetic with a bottle of the Lucas oil tranny stuff in it. Works good for me.

I've used the Redline 'MTL' with their synthetic friction mod. for years now (over 150,000m) in my '93 5 speed. However, I believe they currently recommend using their synthetic ATF now called D4. That should definitely be better for HP than the MTF gear oil. In the diff. I also used Redline synthetic 75-90 with their modifier, but it started to leak thru the seals. So unless you are re-building the pumpkin I'd stay with regular hypoid gear oil + Ford's modifier (if you have the traction lok diff).

lucas is bad stuff

just a warning, you should do a search on here for lucas. it has no anti foamant. works great at low rpms, but as soon as it gets moving, it whips up like whipped cream. there was a guy on here who took the little tester they have in the parts stores, and hooked an electric motor up to it. it was really really bad. i took mine out immediatly, and saw it was doing it in my car.

Dirtyd0g said:
Tim the best thing I have found for your transmission is dexIII with a bottle of red lubeguard in it.
Alan,
it's the same as ATF+3? I have been using that in mine since it was rebuilt over 5 years ago.
thanks
ken

I'm sure everyone realizes this, but the original question had to do with an AOD. A lot of the recommendations given here are for 5spds. :)

XR7 Dave said:
I'm sure everyone realizes this, but the original question had to do with an AOD. A lot of the recommendations given here are for 5spds. :)

Oops! nope, he didn't say.... :rolleyes:

Ken Seegers said:
Alan,
it's the same as ATF+3? I have been using that in mine since it was rebuilt over 5 years ago.
thanks
ken

I think the black lubeguard converts dexIII to atf+3,similar to what is used in chrysler vehicles. The red is just to help prevent sticky valves and increase life.
The green bottle of lubeguard is for converting dexIII into mercon V, but I don't like it it seems to be way too weak.
Alan

Back