HGs got wet.

TbirdSCFan

I put the HGs on and then placed the heads on over top and went to sleep. Got up the next day and pulled the heads off and notlced the bottom part had gotten wet from left over coolant in the block. I wiped everything down and cleaned the block and heads faces off with brake parts cleaner, but as far as the gaskets, I just dabbed them off, let them air dry a bit and put them back on. I wasn't about to go order another set and wait another day or 2 to get a new set. So, I installed the heads and torqued everything down.

Is the coolant going to cause a problem later?

no :confused: , one purpose headgaskets have is to be continuosly in the presence of coolant to stop coolant leaking outside the cooling passages, just wash them off with water or whatever then use an iron set to the lowest setting for about 5 passes, remember to lay a towel on top to prevent cross mojination :eek:

AsScLoWn said:
one purpose headgaskets have is to be continuosly in the presence of coolant to stop coolant leaking outside the cooling passages
For that reason, you wouldn't think it would matter. But they have you clean every molecule of oil off the surfaces because that is supposed to cause a problem.
just wash them off with water or whatever then use an iron set to the lowest setting for about 5 passes, remember to lay a towel on top to prevent cross mojination :eek:
I sprayed on some mojinator repellant. ;) :D

I meant it wont harm the gasket if you remove the residue :p

mojinator repellant
I call horseschit on that one,theres no repellant, you have to buy new gaskets when they mojinate :rolleyes:

Back