making keys

sendeth

i called ford and they told me they can only get the key numbers for 96 and newer. is that true??? do i just need a number??? how else can i get it. i lost the door and ignition key (same one), and i really don't want to have to replace all my locks. and now the locksmith acted like i was nuts when i asked him if he could make a key for my car. what the hell???

if worst comes to worst take the ignition out and take it to a locksmith they can make keys
and ive heard if u take the number off the pass side lock they can make keys

number???

what number is on the lock??? is ithat the key code??? and where on the lock??? you mean on the side of the actual cylinder???

its the key code im pretty sure and its on the pass lock so if u can get to the lock and remove it take that in....i read thats where it is on another forum

It's on the passenger side lock it is a letter and some numbers the letter is the "KEYWAY" the number is the "BITTING"

cool

thanks guys, this ford dealership is horrible and no help at all. they said they could look up the numbers on 96 and newer only. why didn't this go on the title or something??? thanks.

A locksmith can help you, & if you're a AAA member they'll send one to your house to take care of it.

lock

give me a little bit of credit, the locksmiths were the 2nd people i called. ford was first. none of the locksmiths will do it. anyway, i took the passenger side door lock out, and i still don't see anything. is it hidden???

That's weird. When I bought my 1st '95 SC back in 2000, it only came with 1 door/ignition key, & no trunk key. I called AAA & told them I'd lost my keys, & they sent a locksmith out. He made me an ignition key, although I forget what he used as a reference. He had a bucket full of trunk keys, & just tried them all out until he found one that worked.

This is some pretty good info here. I am in the same boat with my 89 XR7. So there was no codes on the passenger side door lock? Thats weird. Hmm. Well maybe I wont take the door apart then and maybe I'll just convince my buddy to use his AAA.

Shane

The Keyway and Bitting code should be right on the bottom of the lock. Unless it has been replaced. You could chance it on the driver side. the car had one at one time. just like the combo on the deck hinge. The keyway which are the channels down which the key feeds into the cylinder (Lock) are pretty easy to determine just by looking at it.. the bitting (The teeth) are more complicated. Most locksmiths can Master into the car easily..Also the cars came with a plastic Key stencil to use in case you lost your original they were in with the owners manual usually just tucked in the pocket in the booklet..you may still have that..

Last edited:
I am going to have to look for that plastic key. I actually may still have it. I will have to see.

Shane

code

ford obsolete parts said they quit putting the codes on the locks a long time ago. this is the only ford department i ever get a decent answer from, so i usually trust them. the manual wasn't in the car when i bought it, and i was the 3rd owner. so, no plastic key either. if only i had those damned codes. it is 120 bucks to have the key made, and since the plastic clip broke on the lock cylinder, so it looks like i'll just be buying a matching set. good luck finding that, too. i would really like to hear the logic for some of the decisions made at ford. thanks for the help guys, but i think i've got it. don't be lazy, make a couple spares. i'm paying for my stupidity. maybe this thread will help some other people...................

beats me if this works, see if you can take the lock cylinder to a locksmith and have the whatever the tumbler things are called checked out and have a key made(yea im lazy to read all the posts if someone already said that), if that doesnt work buy a new lock set, another way is go to the original selling dealer and badger them to see if they have the original papers, the key code should be on file, maybe, in file folders:rolleyes: , I dont remember what I did, but some lady with nice breasteses was kind enough to look for it :eek:

sendeth said:
ford obsolete parts said they quit putting the codes on the locks a long time ago. this is the only ford department i ever get a decent answer from, so i usually trust them. the manual wasn't in the car when i bought it, and i was the 3rd owner. so, no plastic key either. if only i had those damned codes. it is 120 bucks to have the key made, and since the plastic clip broke on the lock cylinder, so it looks like i'll just be buying a matching set. good luck finding that, too. i would really like to hear the logic for some of the decisions made at ford. thanks for the help guys, but i think i've got it. don't be lazy, make a couple spares. i'm paying for my stupidity. maybe this thread will help some other people...................

Hmm. I think I'll just resort to the AAA bucket-o-keys and have them give me a key that works. I talked with my local Ford dealer and they told me it would cost me $100 for two door locks and the ignition with keys so I am going to avoid that route at all costs.

Shane

locks

they don't have a matching set for the ignition and locks for my car, and the ones i found are over 200 dollars. aaa won't even come out here. i tried.

Sorry to resurrect this from the dead but, I found a F-#### penciled on my warranty card in the manual and was wondering if this is the # i need to have more keys made, I've lost them again.

Thanks!!

Finally someones question that i can answer.
Ford started uses the 10 cut key in the 84 1/2 model year the codes are 101a-291a 101b-291b up to 101e-291e for the ignition and a501-a579 up to e501-e579 for the doors. there are 10 cuts the first six are for the ignition the last six are for the doors with the two middle cuts for both locks.
so even if you pulled the door lock out and took it to a locksmith it still would not turn the ignition they would have to progress the first three cuts of the key
you can not get the key switch out of the column unless you have the right tools (locksmith tools). the trunk key works the trunk and glove i don't think the glove box has all the cuts to fit the trunk lock either.
Sometimes you make a key for the door and the computer will spit five or six possible keys for the ignition other times it
will spit out 30 or 40 possible keys it depends on the two overlapping cuts

Last edited:
a little late but thanks

too bad you weren't around when my key ended up in the mud about 4 ft next to my car. the info is helpfull anyway, even though i am about to just blow the car up. it might look ok in a thousand pieces in my yard.

Back