Think I was taken for my money

Tony8470

It's too late now, the papers are signed and I have the transmission. But the shop I took my M5R2 to charged me about $800 for a new flywheel and to replace all seals and 2nd and 3rd blockers. They "said" it cost 400 to make the flywheel since they arent sold anymore and they took the hit for it, only charged me 60 for it.

Am I crying too much or did I in fact pay way too much for the work?

double!!!! going once twice 3 times sold!!, if they also removed the trans from the car its an ok deal

no, I took it out myself and gave it to them to save a couple bucks...but apparently not......

Man I wished I could get people to pay me soooo much for doing so little, not to mention I have a perfectly good flywheel and no use for it what so ever. :(

Ya, I've tossed more that a couple of them. lol I advertised them for a long time and no one would pay me anything for them so they went to the recyclers.

I think I might have one also, its not 28 or 50oz imbalance, its 0oz imbalance like high revving high performance race cars, only ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLERS :cool:

Well the thing that really bugs me is the miscommunication of a small shop. I told the guy at the desk to replace ALL blockers and seals and it was just a minimal rebuild not ring gears or anything like that. I bring the tranny to the shop the next day, another guy helps me bring it inside. I tell him possible exact words "yeah I just want minimal work, 3rd gear grinds so it needs replaced and all the seals and all that". Little do I know hes gonna be the one working on it and takes my words for gospel. Replaces 3rd and 2nd blocker because they needed it, the rest didn't.....therefore are not covered under warranty. I ask him to cover the rest of the blockers under warranty becuase since they didn't need replaced then they should obviously come under warranty or else he would have replaced them, right? Nope, only seals and 2 and 3 blocker is covered.

P.S. is there a way for me to pop open the tranny and see if they put the right blockers in, and not the brass ones?

90% of the time you can get away with 2 blocker rings and 2 seals, unless you snapped two output shafts like I did :confused:. Put the thing into neutral and remove that cover in the middle of the trans, 1st gear will have the biggest gear and 4rth will have the smallest, 1 &2 are on the same syncro and 3 and 4 on another. Try spinning the brass blockers by hand and see how they engage the gear(might have to switch the gears by tugging on the synro hubs to expose the blockers) if they all engage the same, fiber, if the ones they put in dont grab as hard, brass, brass will clash at higher RPM shifts because without the friction material the gear will not slow down quick enough. Place all the gears in neutral and place the cover back on and see iff all the gears work, then wrap duct tape no more than 5 times areound the circumference of the trans housing overlapping no greater than 1/2" and no less than 1/4".

well im in school now to be a mechanic cause nowadays you go to a shop and they chat\rge up the butt hole for lil thing and they try to tell you other things are broke just to get money off you si that is why im going to be my own mechanic and al sc;s are half price if they come to me :D

Ok I popped it open and 1-4 all are missing a tooth like in the link Mike8675309 posted, that means they installed the correct fiberlined blockers?

Back