Denso Iridium plugs

Conan56

Anyone know the Part number for the Denso Iridiums for SC

Id liek to know replacement plug number and 1 step colder

Is it necessary to go 1 range colder When using the iridium plug?
as opposed to the platnums

NGK makes the iridiums for the SC. Part #TR55-1IX Stock #7316. I just used the heat range the book called for. they work great.

I've run the NGK in my drag racer with good results but have switched to the Denso because I need to run a colder plug. I went 2 heat ranges colder and use the IT22. One heat range colder is an IT20. The Denso doesn't have the extended tip while the NGK does.

I've asked about that myself. The extended tip puts the spark a little deeper into the combustion chamber for better ignition. Is it really beneficial? I don't know and neither did Denso's tech rep. My car doesn't seem to care. I did burn the tip off of one of my NGK's one Sat at the track early last year and had to limp home on 5 cyls. After replugging that cylinder with a fresh NGK I finished the rest of the season without further incident. But, I've now switched to the colder plug that Denso offers on the advice of the chip tuners. The Denso has a copper core which is good. I don't think the NGK has a copper core.

Denso IT 20...lil colder then stock..Warded off detonation on my SC...I use them in all my car sincluding my turbo v8//I reccomend leaving that gap as is..With 21psi in my SC I was unable to blow the spark out with factory set gap..They say..dont regap em..SOme have....But if it can fire under a wider gap///It willmake more power

The extended tips are NOT beneficial for performance. They are like that for a more complete burn under lean conditions and partial cylinder filling. This is an emissions parameter.

The extended tips act like glow plugs in the cylinder under boost. Using standard short tip plugs will achieve the same results as the Denso's at anything less than 20psi, perhaps even above that - and for $1.29/plug. At ten times the price I'd have to see dyno results before I'd buy.

Plugs are Part of an Overal Design...

Plugs are part of an overal design, that is fully tested by Ford before they make a selecton. If an improvement in technology comes along like the double platinum, and the ignition system is designed to work best with these plugs, then, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

If you're getting detonation, pull the SPOUT connector and see if that helps. It will retard the advance by 4 deg. at full advance (I believe).

Unless going all out racing all the time, the stock system is fine, if everything else is stock and working properly. If you've done some serious mods to the air intake, fuel injectors, cam, exhaust, you've renderend the EEC's stock programing settings useless. The system must continually "adjust" to best settings, where the "best settings" are in most cases not within its stock range of settings, even with adaptive logic.

discipled1

Huh?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
But if it can fire under a wider gap///It willmake more power
Once the fuel/air mixture is ignited, it will burn with the same intensity, regardless of how hot the spark was that ignited it.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Once the fuel/air mixture is ignited, it will burn with the same intensity, regardless of how hot the spark was that ignited it.

68COUGAR
A wider gap allows more complete combustion..Has nothing to do with intensity,,The fact that the DENSO plug allows a stronger spark then a factory plug allows you this extra GAP without blowing it out..

Nothing new here..Its common knowledge :O)

My friend Chris put his GSR powered turbo Civic (8psi) to the dyno and acheived 206HP with Denso Iridiums. Cheapie NGK copper plugs = 204HP, NGK iridiums = 203HP... This was at the same timing and plug gap in all runs (after getting the best tune with cheapies), so it's possible that with tuning and opening the gap I could have gotten a 'lil more. Not worth it IMHO. Better ways to spend your money.

What Damon was getting at is that the Denso plugs will continue to fire under conditions that would kill the spark from other plugs. This is a proven fact. However, the reality is that you have to be experiencing at least partial spark blow out before a power increase is possible.

That being said, I run standard (short tip) copper plugs in my motor at over 18psi and - well - more HP than anyone I know of other than Damon (with an SC) and have experienced absolutely no signs of spark blow out. And no, I won't use a platinum plug in my motor, period.

I've always used copper plugs as well with no spark blowout whatsoever, with a turbo or blower and I've run as high 28 psi of boost.

You guys goin about it all wrong!! Ya'll need the phatty Nology wirez wit da ill ground straps!! They gonna give u all the sparkz u need!!

N0l0gee pwnz j00!!

KwikGSeX said:
You guys goin about it all wrong!! Ya'll need the phatty Nology wirez wit da ill ground straps!! They gonna give u all the sparkz u need!!

N0l0gee pwnz j00!!

So how is the rice rocket running these days Dennis? :)

XR7 Dave said:
So how is the rice rocket running these days Dennis? :)

360whp@22psi with 110 compression and 9 bent valves (Not my fault either :)) Cant wait to see what it does with a fully functional motor.. LoL

Platinum plugs absolutely suck...

What Dav esaid.

Gap for Gap if both plugs are firing properly there really shouldnt be any gain inhp...The Gain would be that the Densos come with a wider gap thus potentially being able to produce more HP....

Personally I like the Densos....I have em in allMy SC"S!

Back