Lightning

19dCavScout

I think when I get back from Iraq I am going to buy a 2001-2003 ford lightning. Preferably a 2002 with those bad *** rims but I will settle for anything with the right price. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any problems with them. I trust people hear a little more than other forums so I was wondering if you guys knew anything about them. I think I will eventually sell my tbird even though I really dont want to but I would like a 5spd in a few years. Thanks guys.

Nick

Get a cobra instead.

Reasons:
1. 6 speed
2. weighs less than the lightning
3. for about 1500 dollars you could be putting down 430rwhp / 430rwtq
4. for a few more grand you could be putting down enough power to destory just about any car on the street.

Cobra for the win!

Last edited:
Ok, having owned a 2001 Lightning, let me tell you it was the best of both worlds. :cool:

Could pull a boat, trailer, numerous loads from Home Depot, and then take to track and run a 13.9 stock or as mine did, 12.40's on motor with minor bolt ons(pulleys, TB, cold air, headers, chip, ET Streets, gears) it was an awsome truck.

I would not have sold it if not for the fact we needed an Expedition for the kids!

Go for it, you will not be sorry!

Lightnings are really good fast trucks. Get one and if you can aford it get a 03-04 Cobra or a 5spd Tbird. Good luck!

Shane

I am not sure if you have had a chance but there are atleast two pretty good websites for F150s including Lightnings. www.f150world.com and www.f150online.com have quite a few members with Lightnings. You may gain some information there as well.

Hope you return soon and safe.

Cheers!

Scott

I did a lot of research before buying mine this summer. I'd try to find a 2003 or 2004 Lightning. There were quite a few engine and other mechanical upgrades for '03 and the 04 is identical.

For me the biggest issues were with durability. Obviously the very early ('99, 2000..) Lightning's had the intercooler problem. A lesser known problem is the spark plug threads in the heads, a lot of trucks were blowing the plugs out of the engine tearing the threads out. This was fixed for '03, I think the new heads also flow a bit better. Also the bottom end of the engine was strengthened.

The suspension was upgraded to nearl double the payload capacity. The truck sits a bit higher than the 2002's as a result.

Style wise I prefer the '03 wheels over the earlier ones. The thing I didn't like was the gay tail lights, but those were easy and cheap enough to change.

Back