Over-running starter results in better idle???

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
Ok, the title says it all. I tend to turn the key to start the car so that the engine "JUST" catches, and then let off the starter. But lately I've been noticing that if I overrunn the starter just a little bit when starting the car, the idle holds stronger, and I have slightly more vaccuum.

Sometimes, if I just barely start the car, and let the engine catch, the idle is crappy, and the vaccuum is lower by a few inches.

Wierd!!!

Please Help!!!

I've actually noticed the same thing on mine. Maybe it has something to do with fuel pressure - the fuel pump kicks on the moment the starter is engaged... I thappens regardless of how many beers I have drunk! :p

I normally turn the key to the run position, then watch the vmm reset itself then start the car. Works great 99.9% of the time for me. As far as the fuel pump goes, it starts running as soon as the key is in the run position, not when the starter kicks on.

Think of it this way, its a computer system that controls how the car runs, so give it a few moments to initialize itself before demanding from it. At least it isn't as slow as microcrap windows ;) so you should only need about 10 seconds.

Frit

Yeah, I normally give the fuel pump a chance to "charge-up" before starting the car too.

I don't get the noise of overrunning the starter like in other cars. The car makes more of a shooshing noise, or a flooding noise, hard to describe, but it's definately not that high pitched zing-ing like overrunning the starter on other cars.

A.C. -- could you go into a little more detail regarding how leaky injectors would make this happen? I put new O-rings on the injectors when I did the rebuild, so,... I don't think it would be leaking from there. Are you saying that the injector itself would be leaking or???

Basically, it just seams like the car/computer initiallizes better if I hold on the starter for a second or 2 extra.

MikeKanterakis said:
Yeah, I normally give the fuel pump a chance to "charge-up" before starting the car too.

I don't get the noise of overrunning the starter like in other cars. The car makes more of a shooshing noise, or a flooding noise, hard to describe, but it's definately not that high pitched zing-ing like overrunning the starter on other cars.

A.C. -- could you go into a little more detail regarding how leaky injectors would make this happen? I put new O-rings on the injectors when I did the rebuild, so,... I don't think it would be leaking from there. Are you saying that the injector itself would be leaking or???

Basically, it just seams like the car/computer initiallizes better if I hold on the starter for a second or 2 extra.

if you have hard WARM starting problems, not hot,if it starts ok cold or hot, you have injectors that are leaking into the combustion chambers, when you have trouble when starting warm, black smoke usually rolls out, if not its something else :D

Haven't seen any black smoke, so, I (hope) don't think it's leaky injectors. Um.... I got confused regarding warm or cold starting.... What were you saying?

I'll make a point to compare starting cold to starting warm. But first, i'll use up a bottle of injector cleaner to see if that make it magically go away.

thanks for the feedback.

yea i doubled back and couldnt make sense of what i was saying, i was hoping someone might figure out what i said :D . Warm start about 30min after the car has reached full operating temperature, it would be obvious your car has starting problems then, it would almost take twice as much cranking for the extra fuel to burn off/out before it fires

Back