What are T-Bird 88 gaskets?

edspringer

I was reading a thread by Dave Niebert on sealing IC tubes. He said use T-Bird 88 gaskets or red RTV. Are T-Bird 88 gaskets the IC teflon seals?

Ed Springer

They are teflon gaskets used to seal the Intercooler joints, instead of fumbling with the expensive two-sided teflon tape.
I have re-used one particular set at least 6 times.
They're slick, and worth every penny.

And in a pinch, copper RTV works great also. It sets up fast, bonds well and keeps its shape. The gaskets are probably the best option due to speed of setup. :)

After the RTV!!!!!!

TbirdSCFan said:
And in a pinch, copper RTV works great also. It sets up fast, bonds well and keeps its shape. The gaskets are probably the best option due to speed of setup. :)
I've used both copper RTV & tbird88's gaskets. The gaskets are FAR superior.

The RTV is ok the first time you use it, but the first time you remove the IC & have to spend many hours scraping & sanding it off, you'll never do it again. Spend the money on the gaskets, and put the sand paper away!!!!

edspringer said:
I was reading a thread by Dave Niebert on sealing IC tubes. He said use T-Bird 88 gaskets or red RTV. Are T-Bird 88 gaskets the IC teflon seals?

Ed Springer

Ed,

So that nobody goes and gets the wrong stuff...I suggested using the "Orange" Permatex Copper RTV not red.

David

PS: I use an electric drill and wire wheel to clean off old RTV...takes about 2 minutes tops and then a couple more to vacuum the crap up. It's actually very easy, but it still isn't as easy as using Wynns gaskets.

Last edited:
Copper RTV vs. Other RTV

David Neibert said:
So that nobody goes and gets the wrong stuff...I suggested using the "Orange" Permatex Copper RTV not red. David
Other than the fact that Chris Wise started using Copper RTV & the whole SC community followed suit, Why is Copper RTV better or different than any other kind of RTV? I've never see That question addressed here, or anywhere else.

Confused 68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Other than the fact that Chris Wise started using Copper RTV & the whole SC community followed suit, Why is Copper RTV better or different than any other kind of RTV? I've never see That question addressed here, or anywhere else.

Confused 68COUGAR

Mark,

Copper RTV is made for high heat applications. I like the orange because it's comes off easier than some of the others and is easier to see the cleaned off area when using an electric drill. I like Permatex brand because is dries quicker and spreads smooth than other brands I've tried.

I use it on the TB, the Inlet to SC, the SC top, the intake manifold adaptor, IC tubes (when I had stock ones). I also use it on the intake manifold bolts, the short head studs, the exhaust manifold gaskets and sometimes that crappy ball socket connection on the collectors, where it mates to the down pipes.

For the intake manifold, rocker covers and t-stat housing I use other better suited Permatex sealers.

David

PS: Chris wasn't the first guy to use the stuff, but he was probably the most respected/trusted.

WHAT IS T-BIRD 88 GASKETS ?

And I thought all this time, that it was the paper gasket you put down on a stool lid in a filling station. :) :p

Randy

Back