HELP, wont stay running !!!

mlbuxbaum

Test fired up the car this morning after HG replacement, and it will start, then die, again and again. Something I noticed, while investigating the smoke in the engine bay, the cats are already HOT. The car hasn't ran for more that 10 seconds at a time yet. That scares me. Could I have the plugs wired wrong? Could that be it, thatthe spark plug is firing during the exhaust valve opening? Is there a way to test to see why it is dying? EEC-4 test maybe? :confused: :mad:

Definitely double check the firing order.

Looks like this:

-front of engine-
-back of engine-

Also, check some recent threads in this forum.. I had a bad vaccuum leak :eek: :eek: (I'm like soooo embarrassed as I know better) from not resealing the IC tubes correctly. Of course it was very late at night, I was frustrated and tired, so I short cutted replacing the seal on the lower IC tube where it bolts up to the intake. Then I scratched my groggy head for an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't run. Finally got a clue when it wheezed once when I tried to start it. If everything's right, the SC engine never wheezes. :rolleyes:

Start by checking the simple stuff first. Here's a diagram of how the wires should be attached. Some of the repair manuals have wrong info.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

If your sure the wires are correct, then start looking for vac leaks. What did you use to reseal the IC tubes ?

David

I didn't use anything to reseal the IC tubes. I don't hear any wheezing but I wasn't listening for it. What should I use to seal them? Just some RTV sealant? I used some RTV on the intake plenum but not on the IC tubes.

mlbuxbaum said:
I didn't use anything to reseal the IC tubes. I don't hear any wheezing but I wasn't listening for it. What should I use to seal them? Just some RTV sealant? I used some RTV on the intake plenum but not on the IC tubes.

Yes Permatex Copper RTV "orange" will work fine. If you didn't reseal the tubes that is most likely the problem. BTW, you need to remove the old teflon tape stuff before applying the RTV. A 3/16" bead smoothed out with your finger should be plenty.

David

addition info needed, please

have not tried the RTV yet, but I did double check the IC tubes and they were in no way shape or form sealed up properly. I did a very close visual inspection and all connections on the IC tubes looked good, but were not. You could see that they werew not seated properly. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm a moron. :rolleyes:

Also I broke the dipstick off at the block and want to know how hard it will be to replace it. :confused:

IT'S ALIVE !!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

Used Permatex Ultra Cooper hi Temp Sealant, Re-torqued IC Tubes, Turned the key and voila' See runs great !!!!!!!!

YEEEE-FRRIIIIGGGGINNNN-HAAAAAA

Back