turbo xr7????

ThunderDave

Just wondering if there were any turbo cougars made when Ford was making the turbo birds? And if not, has anyone done the swap and put the 2.3 turbo in an xr7???

Seems like it would be a cool thing to do.

David

I think there was a turbo cougar but I am not sure. I think I remember seeing one in an add once.

Shane

Fox body Cougars from 1983 - 1986 were available with the non-intercooled 2.3L turbo motor.

cheers,
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Fox body Cougars from 1983 - 1986 were available with the non-intercooled 2.3L turbo motor.

cheers,
Ed N.

I thought they were made turbo the same years as the Tbird TC.

I know the 85-86 Tbirds were non-intercooled, but had a bigger turbo, where as 87-88 Tbirds were intercooled with smaller turbos. Maybe the trims changed...not the actual size of the turbo...

Yep, 83-86 XR7's had the non-intercooled Turbo 2.3, just like the 'Birds.

87 XR7's were also 2.3T, but I'm not sure of the intercooler.

88 XR7's got the 5 liter.

In high school a buddy of mine's girl had an '85 5-speed turbo XR7. That's where I learned a lot of respect for what forced induction can do....Well that and around the same period of time I saw what an SVO Mustang could do to a 5.0 GT Mustang.

Parker Dean said:
Yep, 83-86 XR7's had the non-intercooled Turbo 2.3, just like the 'Birds.

87 XR7's were also 2.3T, but I'm not sure of the intercooler.

88 XR7's got the 5 liter.

I don't believe they carried the 2.3 motor on in 87 in the Cougar, that was the year they freshened up the body style a bit before the end of the Fox Cougars. The Ford parts listings only show a 3.8 and 5.0 when I go to the engine calibrations section for 87 - 88 Cougar.

cheers,
Ed N.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I have an intercooled 87 v8 turbo xr7:O)

I've just not heard about the turbo cougar. I don't remember them getting the hype like the tbird turbo coupe did. Thanks for the info y'all.

David

fast Ed N said:
I don't believe they carried the 2.3 motor on in 87 in the Cougar, that was the year they freshened up the body style a bit before the end of the Fox Cougars. The Ford parts listings only show a 3.8 and 5.0 when I go to the engine calibrations section for 87 - 88 Cougar.

cheers,
Ed N.

Did some looking around and it appears you're correct. Which makes sense as I knew the 87's didn't have the Intercooler hood, but I could swear I read that the 87's still had the 2.3T.

Oh well.

turbo xr7

I know the 85-86 Tbirds were non-intercooled, but had a bigger turbo, where as 87-88 Tbirds were intercooled with smaller turbos. Maybe the trims changed...not the actual size of the turbo...

The 83-86 came with the non ic garret t3 turbo and the 87-88 came with the ic and an ihi turbo which is a smaller turbo.I think the t3 came in 2 differant trims but I am not sure on that.

AH yes 2.3 turbo lived on after 88 and went into the 89 probe ..half Mazda half ford ...and damn they worked and handle good ..but aren't good to work on ..took me 3 days to change a coolant line to the turbo and a couple pints of blood...think a SC engine bay is tight...I also recall ford putting the turbo in a mustang ..not sure on the year..and I've never seen one ...outside a magazine ....dave

MercsSC said:
AH yes 2.3 turbo lived on after 88 and went into the 89 probe ..half Mazda half ford ...and damn they worked and handle good ..but aren't good to work on ..took me 3 days to change a coolant line to the turbo and a couple pints of blood...think a SC engine bay is tight...I also recall ford putting the turbo in a mustang ..not sure on the year..and I've never seen one ...outside a magazine ....dave

I think the Mustang got the Turbo 2.3 from 1979 through 1986.

NCredSC said:
There was other turbo tangs besides the SVO, right?

David

Yeah I have seen 1979 Turbo indy pace cars, 1980 Turbo Cobra Mustangs, and 1983 Turbo Mustang GT's. The SVO came out in 1984 and included suspension and brake changes along with the engine. The Mercury Capri also got the turbo 2.3L for a few years, 1979 - 1983 maybe. I'm not sure.

Back