A few things.... hopefully related!!!! Not really

Gr8wone

I have an 89SC stock 5 spd and I've never seen the upshift light come on, I'm also on my 3rd HB in a year.....

The fan doesn't come on anymore, I hard wired it, and she won't start on the first try when warm, but she eventually does start and when she does she runs real rich.
I've looked long and hard before asking for help with these!!!!!

I've read and seen posts on all three items but I haven't seen a post with all three happening at the same time. I'm thinking they're related because the fan started it all, but it doesn't make sense that she won't start warm because the fan is on all the time. But at the same time when after a while she DOES start.. What a puff of carbon!!!! I'm talking a big greyish-black puff of smoke and you can smell it still 50 mi later!!!!

I need this solved for my stste inspection sticker!!!! PLEASE help with any ideas at all!!!! Thanks much!!

i think the only time mine acted real rich was when fuel pump was bad , i think the upshift light only comes on when you are going real fast in 4rth gear or something like that mine never comes on either

Maybe your ECT (Electronic Coolant Temperature) Sensor is going/gone bad. It sits by the where the fuel rail crosses over from the fender to engine and also by the DIS Module. If it is bad, the EEC thinks your car is say...cold, so it richens up the fuel mixture...also it telling the EEC that it is cold so-no need to turn on the fan as the temp isn't hot. Running rich for long time may make starting harder.

Gr8wone said:
fan doesn't come on anymore..
won't start on the first try when warm..
she runs real rich..
What a puff of carbon!!!! I'm talking a big greyish-black puff of smoke and you can smell it still 50 mi later!!!!
You may be able to put an ohmeter on it and see if it is within specs for the temp of the water...unfortuneately I don't have the specs as I just bought one instead of messing with it..
ps.....when you first turn on the key the upshift light should come on. At least that will let you know that the bulb isn't burnt out.

Back