new and lost!

drak347

Hi, I'm a new member to this board. I've owned my black '90 SC for almost 2 years now and am planning to keeping it for a very long time! My problem is that I'm 18 years old and have never had any real experience w/ repairing or upgrading them. Also, I don't know any knowledgeable SC mechanics anywhere near where I live. I want to upgrade my SC and would love to someday be able to do some things myself but have no clue how or where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can begin to learn what I'm doing, and does anyone know any knowledgeable SC mechanics near central MI. Other than standard repairs, my cars engine has been replaced w/ a Jasper buy the previous owner and I have removed the air resonator(thanks to the SCCOA webpage!). Any recommendations would be welcomed w/ much appreciation. Thanks!

If you are interested in performance then try going to the Sccoa parts site. The bpu are intake, OD pulley, underdrive pulleys for the engine, and porting the SC etc. they will put you around 300Hp 420lbs torque. Make sure to change the gears because they will make a big difference. Make sure that if you do the OD pulley for the supercharger that you work the exhaust (all of it) downpipe, header, and put a real dual exhaust on there to get the most benefit from the other mods.

Actually, the first thing you should consider doing is the exhaust. Stock SC's have highly restrictive exhaust systems which has been theorized to lead to blown head gaskets.

The basics people add would be a 5% pully, removed silencer (you say you already did this), K&N Panel Filter or Intake Tube/Filter Kit. Those items right there should call for a new exhaust resonator which is the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust.

Further exhaust mods would be revised down tubes, high flow cats, and replaced fuel tank with new (straighter) exhaust pipes and good flowing mufflers.

Those really should be done if you go with 10% pully, or much larger intake componenets. (MAF, TB, Heads)

Because of the bolt on nature of many of the SC mods, you can do many of them if you are willing to just ask questions and be thoughtful about it. The SC, while special, is still just a car so any "good" mechanic should be able to work on it. The key is finding a "good" mechanic.

Back