Used header ceramic coated???

pablon2

Is there an easy way to tell if a used header has the ceramic coating on it? I haven't seen ceramic and non-ceramic headers so I don't know what the obvious differences may be? The set I have has black soot in the primaries b/c they are are used, but the walls seem smooth which I assume would suggest ceramic coating, but I read somewhere that the outside is also ceramic coated and that doesn't feel/seem to be the case. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the headers weigh 13.5 pounds total.

Collector diameter is 2.25" Is that right?

One other thing...I measured the outlet diameter of the midlength collectors and they both measure 2.25". I thought they were supposed to be 2.5" or is the measurement taken at another spot on the collector? Did Kooks or anyone else make a header with outlet of 2.25" or just 2.5"? Thanks for any help here! Bottom line is I need to make sure I have ceramic 2.5" headers.

pablon2 said:
Is there an easy way to tell if a used header has the ceramic coating on it? I haven't seen ceramic and non-ceramic headers so I don't know what the obvious differences may be? The set I have has black soot in the primaries b/c they are are used, but the walls seem smooth which I assume would suggest ceramic coating, but I read somewhere that the outside is also ceramic coated and that doesn't feel/seem to be the case. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the headers weigh 13.5 pounds total.

If it is true that I do not have 2.5" collectors then maybe you can answer me this....If Kooks seems to be the main manufacturer of headers for our SCs and the SCP website says the Kooks headers have 2.5" collectors then why would mine measure 2.25". One reason could be that the measurement is taken some other place than where I am measuring, another explanantion is that it is a typo in the Kooks header description on the SCP website, and thirdly I maybe don't have Kooks headers (I doubt this one b/c again my understanding is that Kooks was the main if not only manufaturer of headers for our SCs). Any thoughts?

MIKE 38sc said:
You do not have 2.5" collectors. I dont know about the coating because I cannot see them.

All I can say is Kooks is not consistant on there headers, maybe they ran a batch with 2.25" collectors on them. They ran several batch's with the O2 sensors hitting the starter making it impossable to install the O2 sensor, they've also made alot of sets with leaky flanges. You measure the collector diameter where they bolt up the the exhaust pipes.
I built my first set of SC headers about 3-4 years ago and contemplated making them for the comunity, however the nay sayers stepped in and pretty much killed my desire to be helpfull in this area(its funny how deffensive people will be when they do not fully understand something). I did have 3 members contact me privately and I advised them on the building of there own headers and they were exstatic about the end results. But they no longer visit here for there own reasons. My opinion of all of the comercialy available headers being sold for the SC is that there JUNK. They are not designed using any real formula's to actualy scavenge the cylinders which is the only reason to use headers in the first place. Many of there construction techniques just destroy any possable gains from them and thus they perform no better than the stock manifolds. :)

Maybe Kooks is measureing the OUTSIDE dia.-OD. 2.500
And you are measureing the INSIDE dia.-ID. 2.250

I don't know the wall thickness of the collector.
But it may be .125 x 2 = .250 .With a OD of
2.500 tube,sutract the .250 wall thickness and
you end up with a ID of 2.250

Randy

Last edited:
MIKE 38sc said:
......I built my first set of SC headers about 3-4 years ago and contemplated making them for the comunity, however the nay sayers stepped in and pretty much killed my desire to be helpfull in this area(its funny how deffensive people will be when they do not fully understand something)..........

I here you on that when you try to explain something........... and you get basically told that 5 years of heavy research from sites like NASA etc was just a waste of time........... because that individual would of course know better as they are an expert ;).

Its shame that happens, as so much good can happen if only those nay sayers would shut up and listen for a minute.

Frit

My Kooks fulllenghts have a 6 inch long collector with a 3 inch diameter opening.

My old kooks midlenght I cant really recall however I di dhave 2.5 inch downtubes attatched. Biggest flaw with those are the collector design. Flimsy POS....They all eventually leak.

See Mike I woulda bought yer headers for the right price:O)!

Back