18" or 24" resonator?

fastsc92

Not sure what other people are using for a resonator. I planned on using a 3.5" center pipe and also use a 3.5" outlet resonator. However this resonator doesn't fit. I plan on using a 18" or a 24" case resonator from magnaflow. I;d like to get the 24" in there, but I'm limited for space. Just looking to see what most people get for their 8x5" oval.

fastsc92 said:
Not sure what other people are using for a resonator. I planned on using a 3.5" center pipe and also use a 3.5" outlet resonator. However this resonator doesn't fit. I plan on using a 18" or a 24" case resonator from magnaflow. I;d like to get the 24" in there, but I'm limited for space. Just looking to see what most people get for their 8x5" oval.

I'd go smaller. I have the 24" one under there and I feel it was unnecessary.

I'm worried about sound and I really want a quiet sleeper ride. My problem is with my "S" bend pipes right after the collectors on the headers. The offset of the pipes need to be 6" on each bend in order for the pipes to be 4" on center ( resonator inlets). Because the offset is large, the pipes go farther back and the space for a resonator gets tight. If i go with the 18 incher then I'll have more room to play with. I hope that made sense. :rolleyes:

The bigger it is the quiter it will be, I have a big resonator with no muffers and its pretty quiet.

I have long tubes also and didn't have any trouble with the bends for a 24" resonator although there wasn't any extra room. The car was ridiculously quiet at first but as the packing burnt out of the turbo mufflers I have out back it has gotten annoyingly loud. I think the mufflers are more important than the resonator. For example, I have flowmasters on my SWB with no resonator at all and hollow cats and it isn't as loud as the XR7. Of course the motor in SWB is stock so I know that has a lot to do with it.

The only thing a resonator should do is take the ricey sound out. It is not there to make the car quiet. The proper choice of mufflers will do that for you.

so you're basically saying that i should go with the 18" as the 24" is not needed. I will be using borla mufflers in the rear so i hope for a good exhaust note. I think i can get the 24" in there...but like i said, i'll be pressed for space and if its not needed i rather make it easier on myself and go with the 18".

that is the same set-up I want to go with. let me know how it sounds with the 18" resonator. Are you going to put cats on it?

Back