Replacing Accumulator, DAMN PRIOR REMAN!

darkstar_one

Okay, check this out, does the new accumulator from prior reman supposed to have a big inlet? not as in long, but wide, i took off the old ones and it seems theres are smaller, the inlet were the fluid is pushed through is smaller on the accumulator, the ones from PRIOR are wide open, well anywho, how does one srew it in without the use of the 8MM hex thingy, its hard, i think i had it, but i turned on the switch and the pump just kept running, and it started to leak i think from the accumulator, were it connects, the neck or head as u would call it, does it take alot of force to screw it in with bare hands? it says torque it to 26-36 LBS torque, or something like that, how much is that?

Only things I can tell you are that when I replaced mine(on my 90)I was told to tighten with my hands only. I did, and it performed fine.
I seem to recall there being something different between the reman, and the one I took out, but I could be wrong.
Make sure you have it threaded right, and don't over tighten and it should be fine, as long as you had pumped your brakes plenty of times before taking out the old one.
Tom

darkstar_one said:
Okay, check this out, does the new accumulator from prior reman supposed to have a big inlet? not as in long, but wide, i took off the old ones and it seems theres are smaller, the inlet were the fluid is pushed through is smaller on the accumulator, the ones from PRIOR are wide open, well anywho, how does one srew it in without the use of the 8MM hex thingy, its hard, i think i had it, but i turned on the switch and the pump just kept running, and it started to leak i think from the accumulator, were it connects, the neck or head as u would call it, does it take alot of force to screw it in with bare hands? it says torque it to 26-36 LBS torque, or something like that, how much is that?

The first time I changed mine, I installed a used one (a waste to time) without taking the cowling off. Took a hunk of skin off one hand getting it in there. The second time, using a Prior reman, I took the cowling off - a whole bunch easier doing the job. After I screwed it in by hand, I snugged it up using a short-handled adjustable wrench on the hex down near the threads. With the cowling off, it wasn't hard getting the wrench in there.

Eddie

You can also use a strap wrench. The length of the fitting is OK if it is the same length as the original or shorter. What happened is Ford made 2 different lengths on the OEM accums. The shorter fitting will work in either.

You could you one of those cups that you use to remove and install oil filters. Just get one the proper size. Then you could use a 3/8 ratchet to tighten it down.

Shane

Last edited:
When I put in my Prior Accumulator I was told by them that it would look slightly different. Basically there is no allen head on the top of it, so getting it off later on will be a pain. I never looked at the "Hole where the fluid goes through", but mine worked fine (ONCE I GOT THE PUMP PRIMED-THAT'S THE TRICK ONCE YOUR ABS SYS COME APART YOU GOTS TO GET THE AIR OUT OF IT AND ITS A PAIN). If I remember correctly I think there's a rubber O-ring that goes on the bottom of the accumulator to seal it. I know there's one on the old one and I'm sure I'd have make a point to ask if there wasn't one on the new one.
Shane & Rich (TBirdSCFan) have good ideas, as I used a oil filter strap wrench to lightly tighten after I got as far as I could by hand. Don't overtighten or that puppy ain't coming off without a fight. Check for the O-Ring..

****1990 SC Accumulator Replacement*****

Hey Guys,

Great posts!! I am working on replacing the Accumulator on my SC. I gather that I don't have to take the whole ABS asy out, but rather just remove the cowling to get at it better and just unscrew the bad one and screw in the new one? (Sounds too good to be true)... Also, the dealer says that this part is discontinued. Where can I get one of these buggers?

Thx!!

Mark

WhiteThunder said:
The first time I changed mine, I installed a used one (a waste to time) without taking the cowling off. Took a hunk of skin off one hand getting it in there. The second time, using a Prior reman, I took the cowling off - a whole bunch easier doing the job. After I screwed it in by hand, I snugged it up using a short-handled adjustable wrench on the hex down near the threads. With the cowling off, it wasn't hard getting the wrench in there.

Eddie

I didnt remove the cowling, nor did I need to. I have hin arms, so that helps. The accumulaors are found at prior remanufactoring.
Tom

Don't have to remove the cowling BUT, make sure you de-pressureize your accumulator first, or your cowling may be the least of your problems as it's under a LOT of pressure.. :eek:

Back