Any intercooler available today, which one and why?

mattyblazer

I'm looking for ideas for my bird, and wanted to get some opinions going here. While were at it which cold air intake and exhaust is the best?

Everyones got there favorites, and reasons why. I just closed on my house and freed up some money, so instead of the kids college funds, or something silly like that, I would like to make my car more effecient.

So what do you say, any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Matt

Front mounted IC, or double IC?
I think Mike38SC is still making some front mount IC's.
Magnum Powers sells front mount ones too, think they are available at SCP.

The exhaust I have is the complete cat back system from SCP ( www.supercoupeperformance.com ) and have been really happy with it.

As for exhaust I had mine custom bent locally. 2 1/2"-3"-2 1/2" pipes. I used straight thru cats with Magnaflow mufflers & resonator. Cost me a little over $600 total.
As for intake, I use the Magnum Powers cold air intake setup all the way thru. 3 1/2" pipe, 85mm throttle body, & MP plenum.
I'm having my double intercooler made right now by Brian Solomon (catwithboost on here). He made one for a friend of mine, & it looks excellent. No weld marks. He's making a polished one for me. The Magnum Powers front mount IC is better than a double IC, & gives a bit more HP, but costs almost triple. Wasn't in my price range this year!

Not thrilled with any of the options out there right now for IC's. I think a properly designed IC in the stock location would be best, unfortunately none currently exist.

XR7 Dave said:
Not thrilled with any of the options out there right now for IC's. I think a properly designed IC in the stock location would be best, unfortunately none currently exist.

Seems like the most effecient area t mount it would be as far away from the motor as possible. But unfortunately this option is not practical. Due to the limited ammount of direct fit applications, the Magnum Powers front mount set up might be my only alternative. I think that if I was in a jam, I would consider making a double..

So far after reading everything that I can find, I think that my only choice is to go with the MPFM, and a radiator from "MIKE 38sc".

As far as exhaust goes I seem to have much more in the way of options, and have only made up my mind that I will be using high flow resonators.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it because I'm starting to gather parts.

Thanks,
Matt

mattyblazer said:
..my only choice is to go with the MPFM, and a radiator from "MIKE 38sc"
Matt, you might try PM or emailing Mike38SC. See if he is still making FMIC's as I thought he is/was. If they are anything close to his rads, I'm sure they will be pretty nice.

I've built myself a FMIC and several others for OTHER brands of cars, but I do not make double IC's that mount in the stock location for SC's. Fast Freddie builds those and have been for years. I consider that as his market and pretty much stay out of it(I'm not looking to pull a Walmart on anyone). I do repair work or modifications on that style of double IC but thats about it. Freddie has many satisfied customers(so he must be doing something right) and I would only consider enter his market should he decide to retire from it.
This comunity should consider itself lucky that anyone would take the time and energy it takes to make anything for this car because trust me they arent making a living or getting rich from it. While I do need the work I'm just not interested in competeing(or whatever you want to call it) with one of our parts makers thats doing a good job. I do not believe thats healthy for aftermarket parts segment and in the long run can only hurt things. :)

MIKE 38sc said:
.. I consider that as his market and pretty much stay out of it(I'm not looking to pull a Walmart on anyone).
Sorry if anyone misunderstood me. I didn't mean a double IC as I know Fast Freddie makes some good quality ones. I was talking about a Front Mounted IC and thought YOU and MP were the only few making them.
Looking back at original post, I'm not sure how I got confused with Matt's original post of CAI options, and I posted FMIC options.. :eek:
PS. Fast Freddie does make some good raised tops as well as the 2-IC's..

My Spearco was instock location.....Basically stock end tanks with a high flow core that was slightly longer...Best was to go inmy opinion..Along with a shorted AC condenser

Find a core and make one!

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
My Spearco was instock location.....Basically stock end tanks with a high flow core that was slightly longer...Best was to go inmy opinion..Along with a shorted AC condenser

Find a core and make one!

IMO the end tank design is at least 50% or more of the problem. When I get caught up I'll be making my own IC for the stock location, not sure what core I'll use.

XR7 Dave said:
IMO the end tank design is at least 50% or more of the problem. When I get caught up I'll be making my own IC for the stock location, not sure what core I'll use.

Why the stock location??

mattyblazer said:
Why the stock location??

True front mount blocks too much air making the car run hot. Also looking for something that fits easily with what is there already etc. I'll be making new tubes but I just want it simple.

If you've ever tried to change belts or work on the front of a car with a MPFMIC you know what I'm talking about.

Like I said, I don't think that the stock location is such a big problem. I think the core/end tank design is a bigger problem.

Does anyone make a better one for that location??

XR7 Dave said:
True front mount blocks too much air making the car run hot. Also looking for something that fits easily with what is there already etc. I'll be making new tubes but I just want it simple.

If you've ever tried to change belts or work on the front of a car with a MPFMIC you know what I'm talking about.

Like I said, I don't think that the stock location is such a big problem. I think the core/end tank design is a bigger problem.

Thanks,
-Matt

XR7 Dave said:

Must not be using my radiator if a front mount is effecting the radiators cooling ability. My front mount IC's are in the nose of the car not right in front of the radiator like the MP FMIC, it is a little more trouble installing that type of IC but the benefits are well worth it. You dont have the IC mounted right in front of the rad cramping up the engine compartment even more than stock, plus the tubes are routed completely different and not crossing over any hot exhaust manifolds. But of course you need a custom blower top as well to reroute the tubes.
Even my rads mounted to a MP FMIC have no trouble at all cooling the engine down. The reports to me from customers indicates absolutely no difference in cooling ability no matter if your using it in the stock posistion with the stock type IC's or the MP FMIC. Airflow to the rad is not so much the problem as the reserve cooling capacity(or lack of it) of the rad itself.

Last edited:
I most definately think its the core and not the end tanks,,Teh Spearco stock located IC almost flows twice as much..What does that tell you>?

850CFM I believe for the spearco stocl location mounted IC

And they used ot sell it

Ok so what do you guys like for Cold air intake?

Any preference, I had used k&N on my other cars, but it is getting played out.

Back