Re-filling Tranny after installation

mlbuxbaum

Does someone have a tech sheet/write-up on the procedure for refilling the tranny correctly? I'll be intsalling a new one this week and want to refill it the right way.

mlbuxbaum said:
Does someone have a tech sheet/write-up on the procedure for refilling the tranny correctly? I'll be intsalling a new one this week and want to refill it the right way.

Hmm, I hope those instructions are limited to "Step 1: Pull dipstick tube out. Step 2: fill with fluid. Step 3: Don't overfill." Because that's all I did.

Thunderbird84 said:
Hmm, I hope those instructions are limited to "Step 1: Pull dipstick tube out. Step 2: fill with fluid. Step 3: Don't overfill." Because that's all I did.
Try this: 1. Park on level ground. 2. Pull dipstick tube out. 3. Fill with a few quarts of fluid and check level. 4. Start engine and run for 1 minute or so to move fluid into converter. 5. Stop engine. 6. Repeat steps 3,4 with smaller amounts of fluid until proper level is reached. 7. drive car around the block. 8. Check level again and pull out excess with a long clear plastic tube. You can use your thumb for this and just do an ounce or so at a time, or make an actual siphon. It should be close. :cool:

I read somewhere that you need to fill it, shift it throughout the gear range, check levels, refill, repeat process. But I'll do the fill it, run it, re-check levels, refill as needed routine instead. Do i really have to fill it through the dipstick? That should be a slow process. I also read that I should NOT used Mercon V in an AOD, is that correct? If so, any recommendations on which fluid to use?, and how much it will take. I am going to drain the TC as well.

mlbuxbaum said:
I read somewhere that you need to fill it, shift it throughout the gear range, check levels, refill, repeat process. But I'll do the fill it, run it, re-check levels, refill as needed routine instead. Do i really have to fill it through the dipstick? That should be a slow process. I also read that I should NOT used Mercon V in an AOD, is that correct? If so, any recommendations on which fluid to use?, and how much it will take. I am going to drain the TC as well.
Yes.. by all means, run it through the gears. What you're trying to do with all that is get the fluid to fill up the internal spaces and purge the air.

Don't know of anyother way to fill it that the tube. But, it should be fast enough, only 15 or so quarts I think including the converter :rolleyes:

Yes, don't use Mercron V. Its made or another vehicle. Mercron III or IV should be fine. I think its printed on the dipstick also. :)

anyone actually replaced tranny shadetree style?

I just read throught the manual about replacing the tranny, just glancing over it ad it seems fairly complex. Is it something that can be done by ,me fairly easily, as long as I pay attention to what I am doing and follow the manual? I'm not stupid and am careful when doing stuff ( I just replaced the HG's on this car, 1st time ever and thought that it was no real big deal )( except that one frigging head bolt that rounded over). I just drained the pan and wow, burnt tranny fluid stinks. I, maybe, got 2-3 quarts out, thought I would get alot more than that....guess I burned it up, but there is some in the TC yet. By the way where is that drain plug? I looked briefly and it didn't jump out at me. I'm getting the new tranny tomorrow and hope to get it installed by next Sunday. Oh yeah.....how heavy is this tranny anyway.....100 lbs, 200lbs, more? If some one has done this before PLEASE e-mail me and give me some pointers on what to expect.

TbirdSCFan said:
Try this: 1. Park on level ground. 2. Pull dipstick tube out. 3. Fill with a few quarts of fluid and check level. 4. Start engine and run for 1 minute or so to move fluid into converter. 5. Stop engine. 6. Repeat steps 3,4 with smaller amounts of fluid until proper level is reached. 7. drive car around the block. 8. Check level again and pull out excess with a long clear plastic tube. You can use your thumb for this and just do an ounce or so at a time, or make an actual siphon. It should be close. :cool:

Ok, that's pretty much what I did. :)

When mine got changed, it took 3 of us (technically 4, but there was 3 of us working on it for most of the day) it took us most of the day. I'd try to find atleast one other person to help.

And don't use Mercon V in AOD? What's the diffence between Mercon III and Mercon V?

-Andy "Melon"

Melon said:
What's the diffence between Mercon III and Mercon V?

-Andy "Melon"
Mercron II I think ;) ;)

Anyway, V is definitely a much newer fluid. My 2000 minivan doesnt' even use it. While I don't know the specific difference, but its not made for a 90s era transmission. They should have called it something else IMO.

It not a problem to swap a trans by yourself,I have done 4 in my SC.
I use a small floor jack to wheel the trans under the car,and raise the transnission.

After you get your new trans installed,and the tv cable adjusted.
I would take your SC to a shop.And have the transnission pressure
port on the transmision set with a gauge.This will insure that
you have all adjustment set properly.

Randy

Randy N Connie said:
It not a problem to swap a trans by yourself,I have done 4 in my SC.
I use a small floor jack to wheel the trans under the car,and raise the transnission.

After you get your new trans installed,and the tv cable adjusted.
I would take your SC to a shop.And have the transnission pressure
port on the transmision set with a gauge.This will insure that
you have all adjustment set properly.

Randy

If he's going to swap the trans anyway, he might as well set the TV pressure himself. I cobbled together all of the parts for fitting/gauge/hose setup that allowed to check the pressure from the top side of the car for only $17.

Thunderbird84 said:
If he's going to swap the trans anyway, he might as well set the TV pressure himself. I cobbled together all of the parts for fitting/gauge/hose setup that allowed to check the pressure from the top side of the car for only $17.
Would you post a list of the parts?

Back