When must you replace a clutch pressure plate?

Bent forks and the plate is blue and scored by a slipping plate kind of like glazed brake rotors. Can have some surface cracks too. If you change it before it slips too much you can probably just change the disk. I am a parts changer and would swap it all out since the tranny is a pain to pull on these cars. PP,Disk, throw out and Slave Cylinder.

XR7Dave also posted a great point that you should bleed the old slave out until you get nice clean fluid. You don't want that sludge going through a nice new slave cylinder. I am in the prolonged process of changing out my clutch pedal and clutch MC and I can tell you the fluid is pretty darn nasty in their after a decade or so.......

AAh, thanx for the input. I ask for three reasons....im going to be changing my m5r2 on the 94 hopefully soon so i wanted to see how to check the stock pressure plate. Secondly, im looking into a 5.0 tbird and im researching on the 5speed swap. Third, because the manual trans and clutch components have been a mistery for me...thats one area that i had really never explored. Thanx!

Back