I beat my brothers Z28

93blownsc

My brother has a 95 Z28 with the LT-1 350 V8 in it and a 700 R-4 rebuilt automatic in it. I have a 93 SC with a K&N and a catback dynomax exhaust system, and a AOD 4-speed auto. I thought it was time to pit our cars against each other because we always talk S*** about each others cars. Well we were cruisin over to my g/f's house and we somehow caught the same stoplight. He looked at me and revved his V8 and I revved my blown V6. Dropped the tranny in low gear, got the boost up to about 2 lbs. Light turned green and I dropped the brake and feathered the throttle for traction. He floored his in drive so i had higher RPM's and he couldnt keep up! I'm mashed at 12-13 lbs of boost and runnin in 3rd gear at 90 MPH and he started to catch a little bit but it was over. the Ford triumphed again! We stopped at my g/f's house and he said that his car was now up for sale for a SC. I got him hooked on forced induction in these cars.
One question.....How fast were the Turbo birds of the mid to late 80's? I was thinkin of buyin a 5-speed turbo 88 bird and makin it a project.

cool

:D Thanx for the turbo stats, and ya they do suck but hey it was all he could get his hands on at the time, 3 grand he payed, i payed 1500 for my SC so i got a good deal :D

You won`t out run the LT1 m6 without some more mods. Dont ask me how I know this. The 6 speed vs the auto made a big differance.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Welll you can make an 87-88 TC run 14's relatively cheap...Even 13's...

Nee dbe a 5 speed
I had a 87 TC running 18lbs of boost and close to 300hp for about $700 in mods I sure do miss that car!

Yeah, the LT1 Z28's from 93-97 were good for 14.2-14.0 with an auto usually, and 14.0-13.8 with a 6-speed.

I don't know what you run, (Hence why I'm here) So I don't know if it was a good race or not. With 12-13lbs of boost I'd suspect you were decently on par. Good kill. Just don't try an LS1. :)

This sounds strange to me...are the LT1s slower than the LS1 (not to up on chevy products)... I mean I've seen some Z28s run the strip and well I know my '93 5sp can't hang...so that makes me wonder whats going on.

-Tim

We have a 93 z28 m6 and its not as fast as the LS1`s. Mabe the first year was a freak as it had no MAF and it might be close to a LS1 auto. I am a hard core SCer but if anyone thinks a stock SC can beat up on a 93 + come over and take a drive in it. Its a high mileage lifter ticken beast but I raced it with our moded 93 5 speed that at best turned a 14.3 and it was by by birdie.

lt1's= low 14's high 13's bonestock
ls1's= mid-low 13's bonestock and dyno about 290-310 rwhp (i know because i used to own one) :D I ran a 12.9 @ 108.5 on a 2.0 60' with an slp airbox lid, magnaflow cat-back, and a z06 intake.

on the street the ls1 camaros and ta's should not be taken lightly, they will most likely walk any car besides 03 cobras, z06's etc. Even a pretty well modded Gt probably wont be able to keep up with a mostly stock ls1, lt1's are more in the rank with gt's and most other performance street cars.

Just one last thing. When you put that much hp in a light car, our Z tips the scales at 3150. Its all about the hp. to wt. ratio. If you were able to cut a 1000 lbs. off the SC. Think about how fast you would be. Then add another 100 rwhp in the LS1. :eek: Now when you talk about ride and feel for a car, lets just say I will take the sc. By next week the old Z28 will be a lt4. Cant wait to drive it.

I think the ls1's r more like 3439? i believe the vettes are around 3200. But I will have to agree that is a large hp to wt ratio nonetheless and u can easily find ur self with ur backend swinging around in front of u :D

The SC is a freak as far as hp.- wt. Our 93 Z28 has no options or sun roof so its light as hell. It all dose come at a price a the plastic doors dont like to keep screws in place. We even went as far as to put all new poly bushings in every location, change the spings to a lower and stiffer ride, and relpace every ball joint,tierod end but the car still dose not handle like the SC. I think what im trying to say is the sc is predictiable in handling and when you mash the gas in the Z you never know where you will end up especialy in a corner :eek:

Typical Z's weigh 3500lbs and I've not seen many M6 cars that actually run a 13 anything. The norm is about a 1/2 second slower. On the street a decent SC will normally kill the Z's due to more torque and better launch capability. They will catch you eventually though. :D

And yes, the LS1's are mean.

XR7 Dave said:
Typical Z's weigh 3500lbs and I've not seen many M6 cars that actually run a 13 anything. The norm is about a 1/2 second slower. On the street a decent SC will normally kill the Z's due to more torque and better launch capability. They will catch you eventually though. :D

And yes, the LS1's are mean.

um... u must be talkin about an m6 lt1.. m6 ls1's run with a decent driver around 13.5's, auto ls1's will be more like 13.6-13.7 due to the 2.73 gears. I ran a 13.5 @ 105 on a 2.1 60' bonestock with my 99 z28. I know the lt1's are pretty hard to launch so might be a bit slow off the line due to the low end power they put out. And like u said tho if they cant get if off the line, they will definately catch u eventually. Ls1 in 3rd gear= owned

Yes, LT1 was assumed. I know all about the LS1s. I can generally take 'em now, but it wasn't always so. :D

hm..

We always race my buddies 1994 Trans Am 6-speed. With an exhaust and intake he was running 13.7's. With 3.73's (up from I think 3.42's) he was running 13.3's on DR's at almost 105 mph (104.9 or something). This was at milan dragway last summer. I can't touch it even with my 95.

91BLOWNSC said:
We always race my buddies 1994 Trans Am 6-speed. With an exhaust and intake he was running 13.7's. With 3.73's (up from I think 3.42's) he was running 13.3's on DR's at almost 105 mph (104.9 or something). This was at milan dragway last summer. I can't touch it even with my 95.

sounds like a nice running lt1 :cool:

Back