Intake Problem!!!

tbirdcrazy

I was taking off the thermostat housing and one of the bolts snapped off inside it. Would drilling it out and tapping it be a good idea, or would it be better if i purchased a new intake?

Any replies are greatly apriciated

I would just drill the center of the bolt and use an easy out to remove the rest of it.

The bolt probably did not have any anti-sieze on it so more than likely it wont come out with an EZ out, but its worth a try. Should the EZ-out fail just go ahead and drill it and retap it or install a Heli-coil, its not worth tearing the manifold off the engine for that problem.

How far down did it break of?? When I first bought my car, I did a coolant flush and put a new t-stat on it. When I pulled the housing off, I noticed one side had a bolt, and the other had what looked to be a stud in it. I figured this was tohelp line up the t-stat housing. After I got it off and cleaned up, I saw that someone had actually broken the head of the bolt off and just used a nut over the threads sticking up to hold the housing. Works just fine and I haven't tried to "fix" it.

Back