More fiberglass door pics.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
This is the driver's door empty shell, mounted. It seems to fit better on this side than the passenger door does on the other side. I wanted to test it to be sure the fiberglass shell would support itself without reinforcement and it will even with all the guts inside. It'll have to be shimmed to compensate for sag just like the other side. The only tricky part is the lower hinge with the concentric roller for the door detents. It needs to be thoroughly greased and tends to make the fiberglass flex a bit when rolling over the hump. It would be better to remove the roller if no reinforcement is used in the hinge area. You can't lean or hang on the door at all. In the last photo are the reinforcement bands I'll use to reinforce the drivers door. The shorter one is for the top and the longer is for the bottom. They are 3" x 1/8" aluminum wrapped with 4 layers of carbon fiber. I'll use some additional sheets to lay on the inside of the door and with the reinforcement bands inside I'll embed it all with MAS epoxy with the medium speed hardener. As on the the other door I'll bolt the bands in place at the hinges to prestress them. Since I drive it to and from the track I want the extra protection and strength. I can't afford for the door to break at the track during the season so I'm installing the reinforcement in both of my doors. A car that's trailered to the track wouldn't need it. I hope to have it finished and reinstalled next weekend.

Attachments

• empty door closed.jpg
    empty door closed.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 96
  • empty door open.jpg
    empty door open.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 105
  • empty door hinge.jpg
    empty door hinge.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 86
  • empty door open front.jpg
    empty door open front.jpg