PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Head Bolts/Gaskets?

Flynnt
01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
A few months ago I rebuilt my engine and I haven't dropped it back in yet. I purchased and installed FelPro head gaskets and head bolts. I haven't fired it up yet and the bolts have been torqued down already.

I know that it's not a good idea to reuse them but I'm interested in porting the heads if I get a new cam. How good are the FelPro bolts/gaskets? Will I have to buy new ones or would I be ok reusing the ones I already have?

Kurt K
01-17-2005, 10:53 AM
A few months ago I rebuilt my engine and I haven't dropped it back in yet. I purchased and installed FelPro head gaskets and head bolts. I haven't fired it up yet and the bolts have been torqued down already.

I know that it's not a good idea to reuse them but I'm interested in porting the heads if I get a new cam. How good are the FelPro bolts/gaskets? Will I have to buy new ones or would I be ok reusing the ones I already have?
The stock headbolts are torque-to-yield, which means you can only use them once. You will also need new headgaskets.

Flynnt
01-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah so the FelPro are considered same as stock? Wasn't sure if they were any different, since I know the stock ones are torque to yield.

Oh well, was just an idea, scrap that. No extra money to screw around with buying all that stuff again.

David Neibert
01-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah so the FelPro are considered same as stock? Wasn't sure if they were any different, since I know the stock ones are torque to yield.

Oh well, was just an idea, scrap that. No extra money to screw around with buying all that stuff again.

Buy a set of APR head studs...they can be reused over and over. Since installing them I've had the heads off the motor 3 or 4 times, so for me the studs were a great investment.

David

Scott Long
01-17-2005, 01:52 PM
ARP studs are nice and you can also get the Cometic MLS head gaskets which I have read are re-usable as well.

Flynnt
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
The cam purchase fell through so maybe if I blow a headgasket I'll get that stuff... so hopefully that will be never. :p

MIKE 38sc
01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Ya know......I've been wondering about Cometic gaskets! I've been using them on other engines I build and those things are great! I've never checked to see if they make them for the SC motor. hmmmmmm...........

David Neibert
01-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I didn't know Cometic made gaskets for the 3.8. BTW, I went with Cometic MLS gaskets instead of orings on my new 347 turbo motor.

David

RussellR
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor. I called Cometic a couple months ago to ask about ones for the SC. They said they didn't make them and had no plans to make them.

Mike8675309
01-17-2005, 10:03 PM
And thus the new thread by Mike38sc. Keep a watch on that one.

Kurt K
01-18-2005, 08:59 AM
And thus the new thread by Mike38sc. Keep a watch on that one.
Here's the link (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=368566) to the new thread.