Fuel gauge and odometer not working

diilldh

Is this a common problem with SC's?Mine is a 90 that had 1 previous owner,Blk on Blk and no other problems.The fuel sending unit checks OK,and the signal is good until I check at a connection about 1 foot from the tank.
When I have the meter on the sending unit side of the connection,I get 16 ohms at empty/161 ohms at full,if I connect the wires it shows no resistance
when I go to the wires on the gauge side of the connection.
I have no clue as to why the odometer is not working.
Can these two problems be interrellated?
David Dill
dilldh@wmconnect.com

If the speedometer works but the odometer doesn't, then the speedometer needs to be replaced.
When the fuel level is low, does the VMM show a low fuel warning? If so, then I would assume that the fuel gauge is not working because either it is bad or the fuel anti-slosh module is bad or not properly seated (in its slot on the right side of the instrument cluster).
When you say that your meter shows no resistance when the sending unit wires are connected, do you mean zero ohms? If this is the case, then unplug the VMM and the anti-slosh board and measure the resistance. If still zero, then you have a short in the wire from the fuel sending unit to the dashboard. If you do get a reading, then reconnect the VMM and anti-slosh board one at a time to find the one that's shorting the fuel level signal.

Back