Grinding

ThunderMoon

Hi. My tranny is grinding when I shift from 2nd to 3rd or from 4th to 3rd. It's not too bad (yet) LOL. If I let the rpms fall down low, it doesn't do it much from 2nd to 3rd. What could this be? Is it something that I might be able to do at home or should I have the tranny place fix it?

Thanks,
Damien

Its either the blocker rings or the sycro's, always get them mixed up. But you can do it yourself if you have the tools and the knowledge with manual transmissions. I haven't touched one of these trans yet so I can say how hard or easy it is.

Ok due to the bad weather lately, I haven't had a chance to do anything about my tranny. It also grinds going into reverse if it has been parked for more than about 5 minutes. I have found that I can eliminate the 2-3 grinding by moving the shifter into neutral and wiggling it forward and backward a few times before shifting into 3rd. Last night I got my oil changed and the mechanic said that I have a tranny leak somewhere. Could this have anything to do with my probs?

Thanks for you help,
Damien

The way that I avoided it mostly was by double clutching.

The way I did that was I would let the clutch out after comming out of gear and pressing it again to go in to the next. After a while I got pretty good at it so it just seemed like a normal shift. But try that. It should work out for you until you can get it rebuilt.

I would try a trans. oil change to a synthetic while waiting for a rebuild. A thinner gear lube will also help, and I believe the synthetic is a thinner critter, but protects better. Royal Purple is said to be good. They also have some additives that should be considered along with the synthetic gear lube for high mileage manual transmissions. If and when you do a rebuild, consider looking into some mods that improve the performance of the trans.

I forgot to add that a dragging clutch will cause your problem. Check to see that the clutch is fully disengaging when hot. If not, adjust the clutch linkage. Also, check the condition of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel assembly by using a feeler gage to mesure distance between pressure plate and clutch, and clutch and flywheel, with clutch peddel depressed. Rotate the whole assembly 1/4 of a turn for each messurement. If messurements are not uniform, your clutch and or pressure plate are warped and a new clutch, and pressure plate (w/through out bearing) are required. The fly wheel will also need machined flat.

Last edited:
Is it a wise idea to swap to a synthetic transmission fluid if you're not having any problems with your 5 speed? Or will it harm the transmission by doing this? :confused:

ThunderMoon said:
Hi. My tranny is grinding when I shift from 2nd to 3rd or from 4th to 3rd. It's not too bad (yet) LOL. If I let the rpms fall down low, it doesn't do it much from 2nd to 3rd. What could this be? Is it something that I might be able to do at home or should I have the tranny place fix it?

Thanks,
Damien
You have a PM. :)

Back