Gear Lube question

I use 80W90 hypoid gear oil with 4oz of friction modifier (around $5 from Ford) since I have Traction-Lok.

Most of the Ford vehicles from the mid-90s on are now using synthetic 75W140 gear lube. At the last Ford Canada Parts & Service meeting I attended, the engineers were recommending to use that fluid in all of the RWD Ford vehicles, regardless of the original fluid spec.

I've been using it in my car for several years, ever since we replaced the Traction-Lock clutch packs. Ford had issued a service bulletin with updated clutch packs to reduce a chattering problem, and that TSB stated to use the 75W140 synthetic fluid as well.

cheers,
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Most of the Ford vehicles from the mid-90s on are now using synthetic 75W140 gear lube. At the last Ford Canada Parts & Service meeting I attended, the engineers were recommending to use that fluid in all of the RWD Ford vehicles, regardless of the original fluid spec.

I've been using it in my car for several years, ever since we replaced the Traction-Lock clutch packs. Ford had issued a service bulletin with updated clutch packs to reduce a chattering problem, and that TSB stated to use the 75W140 synthetic fluid as well.

cheers,
Ed N.
So should we use 75W140 synthetic fluid even without the updated clutch packs and do we need to add the friction modifier?

fast Ed N said:

cheers,
Ed N.

That is funny you should say this as I just changed mine over to the 75w140 synthetic fluid from Motorcraft two days ago. The rear end is quiter, no chatter, runs cooler as well! I added 1/2 of the 4 oz tube just for kicks!

unclenick said:
That is funny you should say this as I just changed mine over to the 75w140 synthetic fluid from Motorcraft two days ago. The rear end is quiter, no chatter, runs cooler as well! I added 1/2 of the 4 oz tube just for kicks!

How can you tell that the rear end is running cooler? Just curious.

-Rod

J.D. said:
So should we use 75W140 synthetic fluid even without the updated clutch packs and do we need to add the friction modifier?

Yes, you can use it with your present parts. And you should still add some friction modifier, the less you add, the better the clutches will lock up, at the risk of more chattering. 1/2 a bottle of the modifier is a good compromise, as unclenick suggested. I think that's what we put in mine, don't recall for sure.

cheers,
Ed N.

racecougar said:
How can you tell that the rear end is running cooler? Just curious.

-Rod

I have a temp gun, drive it a mile, point at rear gear and take a temp reading before then swap, run it a mile point at rear again! It is also very handy at seeing what the actual temp of the engine is rather than relying on the OE crappy temp gauge.

ST2030.jpg

If you dont own one of these, you have to get one. They are great!

Raytek Raynger ST20
Raytek Raynger ST20 Pro hand-held IR temperature sensor: Range of -25 to 999°F...just point and shoot!

Link on hand held lazer thermometers!

I've been using Richmond's 75w140 synthetic in my '93-5 speed rear end for some years now - it comes with the friction modifier already mixed in and is blue in color.

85w140

I'm buying a fuel pressure gauge from Summitt and figured I'd also get some Royal Purple gear lube also to save on shipping. however, they only have 85W140. Will this be too thick?

joenintiesc said:
Royal Purple makes a 75W140 synthetic gear lube with friction modifier already added too...

Victor at Spinningwheels SC sells all of the Royal Purple product line. :)

http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/

unclenick said:
I have a temp gun, drive it a mile, point at rear gear and take a temp reading before then swap, run it a mile point at rear again! It is also very handy at seeing what the actual temp of the engine is rather than relying on the OE crappy temp gauge.

If you dont own one of these, you have to get one. They are great!
just looking at it, and thinking about the concept, that seems like it should be fairly expensive, but it's actually very reasonably priced

Back