please help

jmfasc

is it normal for the dipstick to be sucking air in at idle? and aslo,i hooked up an air compressor to my intake at about 18psi and air comes out the dipstick,what does that mean?any help would be great thanks

jmfasc said:
is it normal for the dipstick to be sucking air in at idle? and aslo,i hooked up an air compressor to my intake at about 18psi and air comes out the dipstick,what does that mean?any help would be great thanks

Where did you pressurize the intake ? The PCV valve could be allowing air into the crankcase and so will the breather vent that attaches to the driver's side rocker cover.

Does the car run okay ?

David

it starts up good and now idles pretty good,but its still lacking power.and sometimes it doesnt want to accelerate,i have to put in nuetral and rev it up some then put in drive.i dont know whats wrong

at the intake tube theres a air pressure fitting for the air compressor that connects the hose for the driver side valve cover ,but i didnt plug the pcv

To help you figure out what's wrong (if anything) your going to need to provide a little history on the car and describe what it's now doing in greater detail.

For example, when you say diesel noise are you talking about it continuing to run a little after the ignition is turned off...or are you describing the clattering valvetrain noise that a diesel engine makes ? Does it happen only when cold or all the time..ect...ect.

David

David Neibert said:
To help you figure out what's wrong (if anything) your going to need to provide a little history on the car and describe what it's now doing in greater detail.

For example, when you say diesel noise are you talking about it continuing to run a little after the ignition is turned off...or are you describing the clattering valvetrain noise that a diesel engine makes ? Does it happen only when cold or all the time..ect...ect.

David
it does it when i accel,and its more like a clattering valvetrain noise.i have to put in nuetral and then give it a couple revs,then it will go.there is black carbon stuff coming out the exhaust when i first start it up. as far as history goes, i just bought the car about sixs months ago and it started spitting oil uot the dipstick,so i ook it in and they said it has a burnt ring or bad piston.so it sat up for a while,until i started to read these forums,and i got it to stop spitting,the plugs r good,the wires r brand new,new crank sensor,and as far as mods, its got headers (mid length)5% sp pully,73mmtb,73mmmaf,stiffer valve spings,injectors dont know what size,removed cats and resinator and i think thats it

How did you get it to stop spitting oil out the dipstick ? BTW, no matter what your answer is, I think you need to do a compression test. That will also give you a chance to look at the plugs.

From what your saying, it sounds like the engine has some internal problems. Is it using alot of motor oil ?

David

no, the oil hasnt been burning up or anything,but i just found a leak on the throttle body,im gonna take it off real quike and let u know.there was air comming out the oil cap too,just a little though.i change the pcv valve and the oil stop comming out the dipstick

yeah,but when i first got i wasnt.is there supposed to be a gasket on the small sensor on the throttle bod?

jmfasc said:
yeah,but when i first got i wasnt.is there supposed to be a gasket on the small sensor on the throttle bod?

No that's the Throttle Position Sensor and it doesn't use a gasket. The larger sensor that's mounted sideways (IAC valve) uses a gasket.

I think you need to do the compression test, to see if the cylinders are holding pressure.

David

is doing a copression test hard?is it cheat do have it done somewheres? i put a new gasket on tb and iac,it seems to be running alot better now,but i cant get the boost past 10 and tb seems to have a small leak by where the thottle hooks up to,you know,that shaft thing that goes through the middle.its not making that desiel noise anymore

jmfasc said:
is doing a copression test hard?is it cheat do have it done somewheres? i put a new gasket on tb and iac,it seems to be running alot better now,but i cant get the boost past 10 and tb seems to have a small leak by where the thottle hooks up to,you know,that shaft thing that goes through the middle.its not making that desiel noise anymore

Yes doing the compression test is a real pain in the a$$, you have to screw a hose with a fitting into each of the spark plug holes and crank the motor over a few times to get a cylinder pressure reading.

Not sure what a shop would charge, but probably over a $100. The diesel sound your describing is most likely detonation, which could be caused from a number of things. Excessive oil in the cylinder, valves not closing all the way, to much boost, not enough fuel are all things that could cause it.

If pinging returns, you may want to try removing the octane plug to reduce the ignition timing 4 degrees. Here's a picture of what it looks like, just pull the gray portion out.

octane.jpg

David

its not doing that desiel sound anymore,but there is pinging.and i puledthe octain plug and its still doing the samething.the boost is right above 15psi at idle,if the header to block gasket is broke, would that cause boost problems or any problems or just noise?

Back