How hard is it to swap engines??

89BlownBrd

I need to put a new engine in my car, and I don't want to pay a mechanic a sh*tload of money to do it. There's a huge tool sale and they have a stand for $30 and a hoist for $130, so is this something that me and my dad could do at our house? We have all the basic tools and are both pretty good with cars, just neither one of us has ever tried anything like this on a car like this. The last time my dad tried to swap engines, he was putting a Chevy 348 into a Falcon, so it's a little different than these. So is this something that two modest mechanics should tackle, or should I just bite the bullet and pay someone?

It shouldnt really be that bad for two fairly experienced people to do. You'd may have to remove the SC and intake plenums to get it out though. When I pulled the motor on my NA V6 I had to take the upper manifold off to get it to clear. You also need to remove the accessories and probably the radiator and IC. If you need to remove the tranny, you can leave it connected and pull them both together, I dont know how easy it will be with a hoist, we used a forklift and chains to do mine. If not, you need to remove the starter and then the bolts on the tourqe converter(auto) or pressure plate(5-spd) and then the bolts on the bellhousing (you should support the front of the tranny) make sure you get the two that go through the bottom of the oil pan. Make sure you have all electrical plugs/vacuum lines unplugged and undo the fuel lines to the rail (uses a spring coupling, removal tool is available at any parts store) Remove the bolts for the mounts and yank it out. I think thats about it. If you need any more specific info, I have a service manual (1991) and an EVTM (1990) and can scan anything you need.

motor pull

what you are going to need is a good set of metric wrenches. make sure you take off the plastic shroud that covers the wipers you bust the hell out of it if you don't. it is easier to get to the tranny bolts if you drop off the super charger. pull your rad. and i.c. it's easier to get to the motor mount bolts it you pull the power stearing pump bracket off. i use the bolts from the blower to connect the chain from the winch. just be nice and easy with it so you don't booger them up. you will also need the little pac-man looking tools to get your fuel lines and your a.c. lines off. connect your chain as close as you can to the motor. also pop off the hood struts and tie the hood back, just so it's straight up and down if you pull it to far the corners could catch the edge of the winshield and crack it. i don't take mine off couse i hate to have to line it up again.just take your time and do it right and you should have no problems. it's a goood father son project. good luck. Bill

p.s. make sure you label everything you take off, vacuum lines in particular.

Back