fuel leak?

jmfasc

i just found some fuel leaking in the back of the engine and i think its the fuel rail hose and im about to check it out.i was just wondering what can i use in place of a fuel rail hose.and wanted to see if that posibly be the reason that i only get 10lb of boost.thanks for any help

well i couldnt find a fuel leak.its right under the back of the oil pan,it smells like gas and its clear..?

If it really is leaking fuel on the back of the motor, I'm betting it's your fuel pressure regulator leaking into the vacuum hose. It won't stop you from making more boost but it will make the car hard to start sometimes and if the hose is off the regulator then you also have a small vacuum/boost leak. It might also be limiting your fuel pressure causing a loss of power under boost.

The fuel lines and rail are pretty durable near the back of the motor so I don't really see how they could be leaking unless they were installed wrong.

David

Last edited:
im just about to bring it to the dealer,but,quike question,i was just wondering what kinda rockers i have and if they are stock,they are blue and ford svo,1.73? i decided to change the gaskets since everything was off anyways.

David Neibert said:
If it really is leaking fuel on the back of the motor, I'm betting it's your fuel pressure regulator leaking into the vacuum hose. It won't stop you from making more boost but it will make the car hard to start sometimes and if the hose is off the regulator then you also have a small vacuum/boost leak. It might also be limiting your fuel pressure causing a loss of power under boost.

The fuel lines and rail are pretty durable near the back of the motor so I don't really see how they could be leaking unless they were installed wrong.

David
leaking out of the regulater itself?or the hose?cause i just replaced the reg.

No the rockers are not stock. If you just replaced the regulator it might be leaking from the base, where it seals to the rail. Sometimes regulators will leak from the nipple that the vacuum hose attaches to...the fuel goes into the intake manifold.

But if the hose falls off the fuel leaks onto the back of the motor and you don't get any extra fuel pressure under boost.

David

David Neibert said:
No the rockers are not stock. If you just replaced the regulator it might be leaking from the base, where it seals to the rail. Sometimes regulators will leak from the nipple that the vacuum hose attaches to...the fuel goes into the intake manifold.

But if the hose falls off the fuel leaks onto the back of the motor and you don't get any extra fuel pressure under boost.

David
ok,thank for the info.thats probably why it runs hot too, right? now i know why that guy got rid of this car haha,theres way to many problems,oh yeah,i just remambered, my injectors are dark blue on top and the c&l maf has a silver thing in the midle,is that the sample tube? and arent the 36 injectors suppose to had a different sample tube/if im right?

Last edited:
i disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and forgot to depressurize it,but no gas came out.thats gotta be a fuel leak,right?

jmfasc said:
i disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and forgot to depressurize it,but no gas came out.thats gotta be a fuel leak,right?

Depends on how long it was sitting since the pump was last running and which line you removed. If you pulled the return line there wouldn't be any pressure. If you pulled the pressure/supply line within 20 minutes of it being ran, then yes it should have leaked/sprayed some fuel.

Why are you pulling off the fuel lines anyway ?

David

i was just replacing the o-rings on the injectors,im doin all the little things i can do befor i bring it in for a rebuild
and it was within 20min and i pulled the return line off first and then the pressure one

Last edited:
what kind of line can use for the fuel rail? the guy that had this before me has some kind of hydrolic one and its not even on all the way to the barb,i wonder if that could be the leak?its the one right after the fpr,so is any fuel line good or what do i need?thanks,, jim

Rich Thompson mn12performance.com has a nice procedure for rebuilding the flexible lines on the fuel rail. You may want to check that out as well.

Back