jacking points

blksc

Does anyone know the correct jacking points for our cars ? the hayes manual doesnt mention any

heres a pic from my helms manual.. sorry for the bad quality :)
jp.jpg

jack points

hey if you want you can also jack from these points. look under the ground effects on either side of the car. there are little indents just behind the front tire and just in front of the rear tire. The bodys sheet metal comes down just behind there and it is double thick and welded right there. this is the jack point ford recomends for changing a tire. This is what i use every time i jack her up on stands to work underneath. I feel they take up less room here so i can roll underneath with a creaper.

chris

I agree.

After looking under the car and seeing what some stupid mechanics did to my unibody sheetmetal. I have to agree that I need to know exactly where to lift the car. This is one reason why I do my own oil changes and general car maintence also. Anyways, thanks for the pic. I got good info out of it. Actually those points are where I have been jacking my car up from anyways but I like to have the actual tech info. L8a.

Jack point options

The jack points are in the general area where the lines point in the picture below, however I personally don't use (or trust) these jack points. I generally look for a good "meaty" part of the subframe, or depending on why I'm lifting the car I might even go for a control arm for the front, and the rear axle for the rear. Fortunately I've never had a flat (knock on wood) so I've never used the scissor jack that came with the car. I have a 3 ton floor jack I use in my garage. Actually if you need to jack the front, look right behind the notched area where they say to jack from, and behind that you'll see a good piece of subframe closer to the driveline which is where I jack from quite often, but it depends on the jack you're using also. Some might not fit that far in. It's also a good idea to use a wooden block between the surface of the jack plate and the car. Hope this helps!
-Jeff
jackpoints.jpg

PS-Lot's of people have different ways of doing things, this is just how I go about lifting my SC!

;)

Put your jack under the strongest looking steel frame part you can locate and think about around 2000 lbs being held up at that point. Stay away from floor pans, and any broad metal plates. Also, think about the fact that the suspension carries the weight of the car.. as long as it doesn't compress and you can find a level spot, you can jack up by the suspension arm.
The advantage of that point is that its a heck of a lot faster if all you're doing is changing a tire as you don't have to lift the body way up to get the wheel off the ground.
But above all, use your brain and consider what 3800 lbs of car would do to you if it fell on you!

Back