machine shop brainstorming

james5275

Good morning everyone,
I just had an idea for those of us with access to a machine shop. Is it possible to mill down the counterweight on a N/A 3.8 balancer? As far as I can tell, the counter weight is the only difference in the SC and N/A balancers (from 89-93) Any thoughts? The N/A balancers are easily available, I'm just curious to know if we could make them work on the SC's. Thanks for the input, JJ

If you did that, I would want to get the balancer balanced. If its out of balance, then it won't work, because you need weights added again, not what your looking for. Can you post pics of the balancer? If its an extra balancer, then why not try it out. There is a post in the parts for sale(or group buy, I'm not sure)about another vendor that sells balancers for the SC's. V6SPROUT is the author of the post. Might want to look at that.

the bolt holes for the crank position oh damn forgot its name thingy are not on n/a balancers. what is that damn thing called ? I hate this damn alchiemers. :confused:

Vane

Are you talking about the vane that bolts to the balancer for the cps? I'm pretty sure the bolt holes are there. Here's the story, A friend of mine had his SC repaired by the dealer several years ago, I think his original balancer broke. Anyway, they actually installed a N/A balancer on his car. It ran fine except it obviously had a crazy vibration. Instead of taking it back, He added counter weights to the crank pulley.
That story tells me that an N/A balancer will fit and it will run, but the assembly needs to be equally balanced, since the engine is internally balanced.
I'll get the part # off the balancer from his car and see what ford says it is. Is it possible the dealership installed a 94/95 SC balancer on his car?
I am talking about 89-93 models here, not sure if this theory will work on 94/95's. JJ

Last edited:
The crank sensor is different from the 89-93 cars to the 94-95's. Also the vanes on the balancer are different too. I think the stock balancers had weight holes, if you needed weight, you could add some to the balancer.

the n/a 3.8 does not have the bolt hole bosses in it our s have bolt bosses built in them they project into the hollow portion of the balancer and the n/a balancer does not have these. for the vane to bolt up to.I tried it . when I did a 97 3.8 swap into a 90 lx and I had to use the 97 balancer with vane on it . the bosses are positioned between the bosses for the pully . I have both in front of me as we speak ah erh type

Back