Motor Rebuild and suggestions

SCFan84

I'm starting school in August for Auto Tech at a local school. We get to do a motor rebuild for the second semester and i'm curious how much a rebuild kit for an SC is? Also what recommendations do you guys make to do while the motors out of the car? I was thinking replacing the balancer, headgasket obviously, MAYBE get ported and polished heads, have my exhaust manifolds ported, possibly bore it out, and add a more aggressive cam. I'm kinda on a limited budget but i should have some money and parts for this acquired by school time. We get BIG discounts on stuff through the school so that's a bonus and we have access to the machinery to do the stuff i want. Any input from you guys??? Help is appreciated. Thanks~ Cole :D

What exactly are your goals for the motor as far as power output? That goes a long way towards the recommendations people might give.

I believe Felpro or Clevite has a rebuild kit. Not sure of the cost. This Canadian company shows a Clevite kit for under $500. Not sure what all is in it.
http://www.hi-performance.com/DomesticRebuildKits_000.htm#Ford6Cylinder

The price is right for the aftermarket balancers these days so I would for sure replace the stocker which is bound to fail eventually. If you think you may be taking the heads off more than this time down the road, consider going with ARP Head studs.

I wouldn't recommend boring the engine out any more than necessary to get the proper fit for the smallest oversized piston you can get.

If you search the forum you'll find some good recommendations for working on the heads. You want to be very careful with what you do on the exhaust ports on the heads. Bigger is not better.

You can get your cam re-ground with something more agressive, or you can get a new cam ground. CompCams has new blanks for our motor.

I've got a thread going in the member section where a lot of input has been giving on rebuilding a motor for under 400rwhp that might be a helpful place for you.

i dont' care so much how much power it puts out. I just wouold like to rebuild the dang thing and get the headgasket changed. I may not bore it at all, it was just an idea i guess. I wouldn't mind getting something done with the heads though and the cam. I also want to replace alot of the sensors and all the vacuum lines while i'm in there. It should be an interesting project to do. We'll see how it goes. Any other suggestions is appreciated. :)

You may not need to bore the motor at all. I had a 3.8 N/A Thunderbird that blew its head gaskets at about 96,000 miles. When I opened it up, the cylinders still had a nice cross-hatch pattern, and they had no detectable "lip" at the top. My uncle was shocked and thought it must have been rebuilt because it looked so new inside. We just changed the gaskets, buttoned it up, and it works great. My uncle now drives it, with about 160,000 miles. (Of course, your mileage may vary.) :)

i have 98K miles on it. I don't know if it needs a rebuild but i figure why not if i'm gonna need a project anyway. I could get a rebuild kit and just do it, that way i have a newly rebuilt motor. Guess i really don't have to put any real performance parts in it while i'm in there i just figured why not do them while it's out of the car.

same as a 5.0 Mustang less 2 pistons rings some bearings, SCs use cast pistons, I've had several done for a grand or so Cnd less assembley, that includes all gaskets, machining etc, no balancing, short block.

Its a lot cheaper to rebuild before you have a failure and have to do a rebuild.

I would use total seal rings.
Install new bearing now,before you have to grind the crank.
Be sure to have it balanced.
Port match every flange that bolts together,intake plenum, blower,
Ic tubes,blower hat,intake manifold plenum,intake manifold,heads,
exhaust header,Three angle valve job ect.

With a larger MAF 75mm and throttle body76mm. you will be around 220
to 225 RWHP.

Add a MPII blower 250 to 260 rwhp
Add a cam 275 to 290 rwhp
Add ported heads 300 to depends on the work done up to 350 rwhp,or more

Others claim that a stock bottom end is very safe up to 350+ rwhp

Last edited:
try nothern auto parts, i got rebuild kit for below $600 and it cam with pistons, cam, bearings, seals, and you can get it for bored cylinders too....very good deal imo.

rering kit

yes northern auto parts has a rering kit if you just want to do that instead of the total rebuild. it comes w/ rings bearings gasket set and more. go to www.northernautoparts.com and get the number and call them. i don't think they have it on their website. i wouldn't get the crank turned either. its better buying a new one if you need to. i havent' heard of anything good coming from turning one. they tend to break a lot.

grossk90sc said:
i wouldn't get the crank turned either. its better buying a new one if you need to. i havent' heard of anything good coming from turning one. they tend to break a lot.

mine was turned, magnafluxed and i got bearings from this place for $200, look at my member page and see my mods....it has held for over 8k miles of my heavy foot. havent had a problem with my crank, or the northern auto parts rebuild kit, so i would have to disagree on the crankshaft comment, but the northern kit is cheap and you get good parts. my .02

Last edited:
Back