Converting to Regular Seatbelt?

Joe90SC

Is it possible to convert from the passive seatbelt to a regular seatbelt instead of repeatedly trying to fix the passive seatbelt? Or would it cost to much money or be to difficult? I have a 90 SC.

Thanks,
Joe

The pieces to do so are obsolete from Ford.

You would have to get someone up here in Soviet Canuckistan to do some salvage yard scrounging for you, or maybe a car being parted out up here has the pieces you need.

cheers,
Ed N.

I like this idea but do we have to use Canadian salvage? Could we use anything from the 94-97 LX. It’s not that I don’t like Canada but the federalies scare me. Oh wait wrong border but you understand.

The 94-up interior parts are different. I'm not sure if you could install them in an 89 - 93 or not. Maybe some of the guys like Rod "racecougar" and David "XR7 Dave", who have parted cars out, and mixed and matched pieces over the years, can answer this.

cheers,
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
The pieces to do so are obsolete from Ford.

You would have to get someone up here in Soviet Canuckistan to do some salvage yard scrounging for you, or maybe a car being parted out up here has the pieces you need.

cheers,
Ed N.

...... I've never heard Canada put quite that way LOL, but I'll need to remember it :D

Frit

Ive done it both ways. First time i got the parts out of a Canadian car in Toronto (Plastic around back side window, A pillar piece, Seatbelt and seatbelt receiver mounted to inside of seats). The second time i used the 94+ interior. It works, but things like the speaker covers are upholstered different and need to be changed for it to match. Either way its worth it to not get choked by the GD things all the time.

You can pull the harness for the belt motor and lock the belt track in the fully locked position. Then you just need to manually release the belt and connected it all the time. I got really good at doing that in an 89 with dead seat belt motors. Didn't even have to look.

A week of driving that car would get me all f'ed up driving my wifes car on the weekend. Trying to push in the clutch as I reach for the belt on my right to pull it up to the connector on the left.

Yep, as mentioned above, you can use the parts out of a 94-97 MN12 to replace the automatic seatbelts to the manual seatbelts. IIRC, you'll need the seat belts (with bolts), A-pillars, sail panels, door sills, and the belt catch (piece bolted to seat that the seat belt latches into).

-Rod

Back