obnoxious beeping

sendeth

my car beeps somewhere uder the dash on the passengers side. it is not the door and light beeper. it beeps 5 times (about once a second) waits about 5 seconds and beeps 5 more times. it does this for about a minute at start up and just randomly driving down the street. any ideas??? is my car possessed???

sendeth said:
my car beeps somewhere uder the dash on the passengers side. it is not the door and light beeper. it beeps 5 times (about once a second) waits about 5 seconds and beeps 5 more times. it does this for about a minute at start up and just randomly driving down the street. any ideas??? is my car possessed???
When you say that "it is not the door and light beeper", do you mean that it sounds different? If it sounds the same, I would say that it has something to do with your passive seatbelts.

it is from your passive seatbelts. the door and light chime actually makes two noises, one for lights and door and one for the seatbelts. If you take the glove box out and stick your head under the dash you can see it.

Do you have your shoulder belts unhooked, or is your door ajar light on?

This happened on my 92 LX and i took the chime out because it was driving me crazy. i just have to be careful to always turn my lights off because there is no reminder.

Why don't you unplug the chime module for a couple of days and see if the sound stops?
A long time ago my chime module went bad. It would chime intermittently because it thought that a seatbelt was not fastened. The seatbelt light on the dash would light up as well.

thanks

thanks for the ideas. as soon as it warms up i'll take a look. i just didn't want to go tearing my car apart looking for a small beeper.

94's have airbags not passive belts. This is a symptom of the airbag light being burnt out/inop. Does it self check on key on? There could be other bag related concerns.

light

never seen an airbag light. is it in the dash??? i know it has airbags. so i need to replace the bulb???

94/95 airbag modules do indeed beep, ran into this at the shop aways back. Drop the glovebox door down, it's on the pillar to the right. Sniff the module to see if there's a burnt smell (seriously).

Can't be too careful...disconnect the battery and pull the memory fuse in the distribution box under the hood before ya start fiddlin' around, might be a good idea to keep your head down too. :D

'bird

Back