Cougar XR7 Cobra R Hoods

Super XR7

I just got back from American Sports Car in Maryville, TN. Rex Orr (owner) has agreed to make Cobra R hoods for us with XR7s if we can get 20 people to commit to buying the hoods. No money up front, just very serious buyers. I agreed that if we have enough people I will go to a junk yard and get a good hood for him to build a mold from. These hoods he has are great double lined hoods complete with shock attachments and a reinforced latch area. He has been in business since 1979 and from the hoods I saw they are first class. Price: approx $400 plus shipping.
American Sports Car's website is www.americansportscar.com

Any Interest??

Last edited:
Greg, check out the above link and there is a picture of a 94-95 Thunderbird with a Cobra R hood. Personnally I think it is the best looking hood for our cars.

As far as a Mach 1 hood, he can do any type of hood but he would need to make a mold for each. The cost of the mold would have to be distributed over the number of hoods bought. On the Cobra R hood if we had 20 buyers the cost for the hood would be approx $400 each plus shipping. Based on the cost of his other hoods this price is cheaper than the listed prices on his website.

Mike

Too bad you're not interested in something other than Cobra R. I could never sell my wife on one of those. :( Well, I shouldn't say anything since I'm not really in the market anyhow, but I'd like to see a hood with something a little more subtle than either the Mach or the Cobra versions.

Personally I like the ram air ws6 hood but not so high.A little less hight would be nice.I was even thinking of making my own (pannel glueing the 2 together) and even keeping our grill.

I am looking for a max hood height of 3" as I don't want to have to look over the cowl. If people are not interested in the Cobra hood, what would you guys like to see. I just need 3" over the supercharger, and am not interested in any scoop that is open in the front as I do not want to clean bugs off the motor.

getblown said:
Any word on this? Im definitly interested.

jOe

Joe, seems to be no interest. I am going to talk with a fab guy this weekend about a metal mod to my hood (cowl type). I need to more room under the hood.

Mike

hood...

Has anybody tried to put a 89-90 tbird hood on a cougar? If it would fit, you would only lose the grill area and it would open the options up to what's already out there. Anybody got a spare tbird hood they can test fit on a cougar?

I'd go for a ram air hood but not to high.I see a lot of grand am;s with a new type of ram air hood that looks awsum in my opinion.If I come across one when I have my camera with me then I'll try to post a pic. :D

supercatxr7 said:
Has anybody tried to put a 89-90 tbird hood on a cougar? If it would fit, you would only lose the grill area and it would open the options up to what's already out there. Anybody got a spare tbird hood they can test fit on a cougar?
I could do this, but I wouldn't be able to test fit anything until after April 15th. I know that's not much help for now. I'm not the only one with a cougar and early SC ***coughXR7Davecough*** ;)

supercatxr7 said:
A tbird hood will fit a cougar but the nose would have to be cut because the headlights are shaped different.

NMxr7SC said:
A tbird hood will fit a cougar but the nose would have to be cut because the headlights are shaped different.

So why not throw some tbird lights on the car? Seems like the lights would work due to the chassis/header panel being the same.

supercatxr7 said:
So why not throw some tbird lights on the car? Seems like the lights would work due to the chassis/header panel being the same.
You would need a tbird header panel also. sorry, forgot to mention that. do a search for catbird on here or TCCOA and you will find pics of cougars with tbird hoods. personally, i would like to see a mach 1 cervinis hood for the cougar so i could keep the factory grill. it would cost more than it's worth for a body shop to modify a cougar grill to a tbird hood. to each their own though. the tbird hood doesn't look bad. it's just my opinion. I also like the much better airflow through the cougar grill. :)

I've contemplated this for years for our Cougar but the bottom line is that the wife won't go for it and since her name is on the title.....

I was going to mock up a hood with a custom cowl for molding and even went so far as to acquire another hood. But since the wife won't let me do it to our car I kinda lost interest. I wanted something smoother than any of the current offerings. I didn't want something that was obvious to anybody who saw the car.

But I'm not much help anymore since I got rid of the extra hood...

Back