Torqu Converter for Stock AOD

TbirdSC93

Torque Converter for Stock AOD

Im puttin in a used AOD in my car and thought about upgrading the TC while im at it.....is it ok to put a better TC with a stock AOD? what is recomended for SC with these mods

-Magnuson S-model ported Supercharger
-3/4 in raised Supercharger top
-Aluminum Jackshaft Pulley
-5% supercharger overdrive pulley
-76mm C&L MAF
-70mm BBK/Edelbrock Throttle Body
-MN12 Performance exhaust
Magnaflow resonator
Dynomax cat back
-800 CFM Intercooler fan
-4:10 gears
-K&N cone filter

thanx guys,
Jeremy V

Last edited:
How many miles. I have had a couple of cases where a beter converter helped the trans go south quicker.
Alan

With those mods I would stay with stock diameter of 12" or no smaller than 11" and stall about 2200-2300 rpm non locking. It will require the addition of a small tranny cooler to go non locking that can be plumbed in series with your existing cooler.

David

thanx dave....i already have a tranny cooler....do you have a recommendation for a lower priced TC to get me by till i can afford a rebuild/upgrade?

dirty dog, the tranny has about 50,000 miles

TbirdSC93 said:
thanx dave....i already have a tranny cooler....do you have a recommendation for a lower priced TC to get me by till i can afford a rebuild/upgrade?

dirty dog, the tranny has about 50,000 miles

I don't think the price is very low, but I went with the 12" Lentech non locking converter because it was the only one I was aware of that would work with the stock inner and outer input shafts. Most non lockers require swapping to a one piece solid input shaft that has to be pressed in. BTW, I don't have that converter in the car now...I went to a 9.5" 2700 non locking for quicker revving at the track.

Alan may be able to build the same thing for less than Lentech.

David

I am not aware of what Lentech's price is on the 12 inch non lockups that use stock style input shafts. Any diameter converter I build is available with that setup.
I build them in 12 inch, 11inch, 9.5 inch(billet) and on rare occasion I build my superlight 10 inch ones.(weigh less than 25lbs)
SCP sells the 12 inch,11 inch and 9.5 inch units, But they can be ordered directly from us for about the same price. I generally refer people to BIll because he knows the products very well and has the time to explain it all.
Alan

is this correct?

In a quarter mile run with a three-speed auto you will spend most of your time in the lower half of third gear. Even with 4.10 gears a naturally aspirated motor can fall below torque peak going into third. With a lock up converter you loose any torque multiplication you would get at this crucial point, the bottom of third gear. Friends of mine who took my advice on this with the AOD came back saying things like "WOW, third gear rocks now!” With a lock-up unit all potential torque multiplication is lost and the converter becomes dead weight, in the worse place possible. You’re going to be spending time here anyways so spend it applying the most power to the input shaft as possible and you’ll get into the higher torques of third faster and your car will again be quicker.

Lock-up converters are good for mileage and drivability with a stall but if you want to get an AOD into the twelve’s they will make it harder. Mileage with a non-lock is still acceptable though, it doesn’t go away just because of 150 more RPM at 80.

Try installing a 3200 stall lockup AOD converter. First feels great, second feels great until, third booooooooooggggg.

i understand now, im think my old tranny had a lock up converter because it did just what you said...1st and 2nd were great...but when it hit 3 it didnt feel right.

Dirtyd0g said:
All stock aod's were "lockup" or as I prefer to call it direct drive.
yeah, i know, but it was supposedly a performance rebuild and i always wondered why 3rd sucked ***

Lockup Torque Converter

Has anyone ever thought of putting a switch in the TCC circuit to be normally open, and when the OD button is pressed, then it closes the relay? I don't know exactly how or when the TCC is/should be energized. My idea is to only have it lockup with 4th gear. Any ideas?

discipled1 said:
Has anyone ever thought of putting a switch in the TCC circuit to be normally open, and when the OD button is pressed, then it closes the relay? I don't know exactly how or when the TCC is/should be energized. My idea is to only have it lockup with 4th gear. Any ideas?

See that is exactly why I don't call it lockup. AOD's have a mechanical direct drive, not a hydraulic lockup clutch. You have a 4r70w transmission that does have a hydraulic clutch. Lockup is a good thing on those transmissions.
Alan

With the non locking converter (AOD) 1st and 2nd feel about the same as stock unless you get a converter with a higher stall, but 3rd it where it really makes a differince.

As you said earlier, the slippage allows for torque multiplication and better acceleration than with the stock direct drive. It also makes driving around town more pleasant. No more bogging or having to hit the throttle so hard it downshifts on a small hill when you didn't want it to. It just slips a little and goes.

It will cost you some HP on the dyno and MPH on the track, but you will have more TQ on the dyno and lower ETs on the track.

David

Back