anyone ever change your tumblers???

crzykyman

Hey there, I am getting ready to buy a 35th anniv. super coupe, yes its real! i already checked... here is my problem, the guy who has it lost the keys to it, the ignition key is 125$ to have a new one made and 50$ for a new tumbler and key set, i have never changed these out. can anyone tell me how to do this or how hard it is? thanks a bunch everyone. Ken Huston jr. aka, crzykyman...

remove the plastic cover over the colum... and from there, if i recall, its pretty much self explanitory. you will need a paper clip to release the tumblers, and there should be instructions in the box.. or the ford service guy will explain it to you unless hes an @$$clown

I replaced the whole ignition cylinder for about $12 with a new key. That won't help you get in your doors though!

NMxr7SC said:
I replaced the whole ignition cylinder for about $12 with a new key. That won't help you get in your doors though!

Where did you find that part at and that price? Please let me know.

Shane

quick35th said:
Where did you find that part at and that price? Please let me know.

Shane
I got mine at Hutchins automotive which has since been taken over by car quest. It's pretty nice. it has a rubberhead key and a chrome collar. i had replaced mine because i thought the cylinder was broken but it turned out to be a bad ignition switch. i have to use the original key to unlock my doors though.

NMxr7SC said:
I got mine at Hutchins automotive which has since been taken over by car quest. It's pretty nice. it has a rubberhead key and a chrome collar. i had replaced mine because i thought the cylinder was broken but it turned out to be a bad ignition switch. i have to use the original key to unlock my doors though.

..a locksmith can rekey your ignition lock to match your door key,easier to reset the ignition than trying to reset the door locks....just had it done to one of my Lincolns.
z

NMxr7SC said:

How hard is it to replace the tumbler? How do you do it?

Shane

$125.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For $125.00 that had better be a Complete Lock Set, which includes the Ignition Cyclinder, Both Door Cyclinders, & a pr. of keys!!!!!! Even then, that price is WAY outa line!!!!!!

Before I'd pay that much, I'd check AutoZone or Car Quest.

68COUGAR

quick35th said:
How hard is it to replace the tumbler? How do you do it?

Shane
It is very easy. It was a while ago but i know i used a haynes manual for the specific procedure. you have to push in a spring loaded pin turn it a certain way and it slides right out.

NMxr7SC said:
It is very easy. It was a while ago but i know i used a haynes manual for the specific procedure. you have to push in a spring loaded pin turn it a certain way and it slides right out.

Thanks for the help. I will have to look in my repair book tonight to find it.

Shane

NMxr7SC said:

Hey I looked in my Haynes manual last night and in the directions it said to turn the ignition to run possition to acsess some slot that needs pushed in so that you can put the lock cylinder out. Well how do you turn the ignition to run possition if you have no key?

Shane

quick35th said:
Hey I looked in my Haynes manual last night and in the directions it said to turn the ignition to run possition to acsess some slot that needs pushed in so that you can put the lock cylinder out. Well how do you turn the ignition to run possition if you have no key?

Shane
The plastic key in owners manual :eek:

tyr pulling it out without the key. All i remember is pushing in that pin and the whole cylinder came out. if you need the key you may have to call a locksmith.

NMxr7SC said:
tyr pulling it out without the key. All i remember is pushing in that pin and the whole cylinder came out. if you need the key you may have to call a locksmith.

When you did yours did you have to turn the ignition to the run possition? I'll have to take a look at it tonight. Oh also, did you have to take your steering wheel off?

Shane

quick35th said:
When you did yours did you have to turn the ignition to the run possition? I'll have to take a look at it tonight. Oh also, did you have to take your steering wheel off?

Shane
i don't remember if i had to turn the key. i know you do for the ignition switch. You do not have to take the steering wheel off. I think one of my haynes or chiltons books says you have to but that's nonsense.

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll try to work on it tonight if its not to cold and report back with what I find out.

Shane

Back