How to test PCM or EEC

Go to a repair shop that has a diagnostics computer. They could be pricey - around $80 for a printout.
Alternatively, you could spend the money on a used EEC, IRCM, etc. but you won't know their condition.
Have you tried pulling the codes?

...no fuel/pump. and no spark/ fan running .. sounds like IRCM ....first check your A/C is off .....If fan still runs ... check 3 fuses in the High Current fuse box ..by the battery... Ignition Coil Fuse "F" ... EEC relay fuse "G" ... fuel pump relay fuse "H"..will be written somewhere ..what they are on the fuse box ...if not "F" "G" & "H" ... Last 3 fuses in the box ..check for power along with physical condition of fuses and wiring to the fuses..there side by each in the fuse box ...see if you got power to all 3 systems ...then check Connection Plug to the IRCM ...behind the passenger head lite on the rad support ...Black box ..I'm thinking it's fried the EEC relay ..shorting one of the fan relay ..open and there's no circut power ..for the ignition coil or fuel pump ....from the EEC relay.if it's getting power from the Fuse ...maybe just a loose or dirty connection at the IRCM .......dave

PS: PCM and EEC are the same thing... :)

Last edited:
If the EEC relay in the IRCM is fried, as MercsSC suspects, then you can temporarily short it at the IRCM's connector and then try to start the car.

where Are they located

The car does get spark I will check that stuff.

first off where are they located because I can't find any information on it to check them

Second I can't take the car to a garage third no garage in my area will touch the car.

dkmst23 said:
The car does get spark I will check that stuff.

first off where are they located because I can't find any information on it to check them

Second I can't take the car to a garage third no garage in my area will touch the car.
To pull the codes, check this link : http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/EECSelfTest.htm

To short (bypass) the EEC relay inside the IRCM, connect pins 8 and 24 together at the IRCM's connector while it is plugged into the IRCM. The IRCM is a black metal box approximately 5"x3.5"x1.5" mounted vertically behind the passenger side headlight. When plugged into the IRCM, the connector's visible side is pictured below. Pin 8 has a yellow wire and pin 24 a red wire. Pin 22 may be red for your model year, so be sure you don't use it. The black pins in the picture are not used. Some of the pins don't have the wire colors noted as I erased them because I used a diagram from a different model year.

Attachments

• IRCM.jpg
    IRCM.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 129
Thanks

I will try jumping the relay.

The image did not come through but I think I can figure it out.

I tried pulling the codes I cannot make I connection to the computer. I tried all three methods.

I am going to get a new dms to get voltage and resistance reading To help figure it out. ( blew the last one)

dkmst23 said:
I will try jumping the relay.

The image did not come through but I think I can figure it out.
If you cannot see the attachment, click on it once to open it, then click again to zoom in. Or right click on it, save the image to your computer, open it and then zoom in.

Well ...if you have a voltmeter ...back to the trunk ...right above the fuel pump relay is the ....Fuel cutoff switch [interia switch] ..little black box..with white tab[button] on top ..make sure the button.... is pressed all the way down..you may have triggered it ..cutting power to the fuel pump relay/fuel pump..if not use voltmeter ....check for voltage ....on both of the wires going into the Interia switch ...turn key to run ...that will turn on the EEC relay ... supplying the power to the EEC....and to the fuel pump relay ..through the Interia switch ..key on only ..that will test the EEC relay ..Interia switch..and half the fuel pump relay circuit....the otherside of the fuel pump relay circuit ..is Black/Yellow wire is the 12 volt feed [check for volts] ....and Pink/Black wire to the fuel pump.......jump ..Black/yellow wire... to Black/Pink wire ...at fuel pump relay
does pump run ? if not check fuse ...in high current fuse box ...from my earlier post ....dave

Fuel pump relay works

I jumped the fuel relay and turned on the fuel pump replaced the fuel pump relay and nothing

have you checked the fuses in the high current box ie: fuel pump relay fuse
have you checked your connection to the IRCM and the ECC
have you the skill to use a volt meter
have you read .. what I asked you to check for voltage ..
make your self a check list

1 fuel pump relay fuse ....blown ..replace ...good move to #2
2 Ecc relay fuse ....blown ..replace ...good move to #3
3 inertia switch.. turn key to run position... @ inertia switch ..RED wire measure for volts ...and White wire out of inertia switch .....no power @ red wire ..then EEC relay in the IRCM is fried...double check.. jumping the 2 wires as par J.D. @ IRCM ........if power is there . on the red wire ..but not the white wire ...then the inertia switch is blown or triggered ..if all checks out ok.. measure for volts on ....tan wire out of fuel pump relay ..if power is there ...move on to #4
4@ fuel pump relay ...measure volts on black yellow wire ...it's hot@ all times .. so does not matter.. if key is in run postion or not ...no volts ..and fuse is good ...you have a break in the wire ..between the fuse.. in the high current fuse box.. and the fuel pump relay..

if you check these out... then ..someone maybe able to ...help you figure this out....dave

Last edited:
Back