to anyone who has had a supercharger chromed

ARV90SC

ok, the shop i went to told me if i dont want to get chrome on the inside to cover all the openings. I made plates and covered all the openings, i heard that they didnt have to be air tight, but the shop said it does wondering what you guys had to do prep wise? i thought maybe compacting dirt in the inside haha, any help will be great

ARV90SC said:
ok, the shop i went to told me if i dont want to get chrome on the inside to cover all the openings. I made plates and covered all the openings, i heard that they didnt have to be air tight, but the shop said it does wondering what you guys had to do prep wise? i thought maybe compacting dirt in the inside haha, any help will be great
The shop is correct.

On the chrome plated dirt thing...Manny might want it but I doubt the chrome shop will accept it for plating anyways unless it's sealed extremely well. Last thing they want is their vat of chemicals screwed up with dirt.

'bird

The shop that was going to do mine wanted me to disassemble it completely myself. Not sure how they were planning on doing it, but they did tell me that they wouldn't get any plating on the inside.

hmmm

so i guess its the shop then, some shops are just nicer than others? haha, im ganna head down to another shop tomorrow for a third opinion, ill keep u guys informed

S/C aren't chromed. They are polished. It's easy to do but it's just time consuming. I did mine myself. Here are a couple pics of my Lightning that I did myself.
MyPoorTruck052-vi.jpg

MyPoorTruck050-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah but why unless you like a flaking chrome s/c. I think the heat wouldn't let the chrome job last very long. Also the chrome would probably hold in the heat which robs you of hp. I know everybody on the Lightning forums all have their s/c polished up not chromed. If you go to websites that port blowers, they don't offer chrome jobs only polished up blowers.
Here are some links http://www.apten-us.com/performance/03cobra/eaton.asp and another one http://www.stiegemeier.com/blower.html
You might think the s/c you have seen before were chromed but they were probably polished. Hope that helps you.

I agree with sho, there's just sumthin' about polished aluminum.

94port0108.jpg

But if the chrome is a quality job then it will last, chrome valve covers etc do very well around heat. Concerning internal heat escaping from the blower, polishing is no different than chrome. They're both shiny.

Keep in mind that once you chrome the blower then you'll need to chrome the plenums etc or the blower will stick out like a sore thumb.

'bird

Yeah I have my s/c, plenum, C&L elbow, 95mm maf all polished. My air filter heat shield is stainless steel. But even with all that shiny stuff I still feel like it doesn't look good enough. Like it's still kinda naked. So I'm about to do my timing chain cover too. I'm going to buy the Metco polished 100mm pulley tensioner for the Lightnings to stop belt slippage. I wish I could afford the new cog belt set up they just came out with but it's like $800. The cog belt sounds sweet though. Here is link and click on the play video tab http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightcog.htm It sounds sweet but I could get another mod for $800 that will get me through the 1/4 mile alot faster. Yeah I get belt slippage now but for $192 I can get the Idler kit to stop that and spend the other $600 on something else like a stall or something.
Oh and I have started on polishing up an extra set of Thunderbird sc cooler tubes and top but haven't finished yet. I'm going to throw them on my wife's car soon and then I'm going to do up the extra s/c I have for her car next. I've seen where some of you guys have your intercooler done too. That looks like it would be pretty simple to do also. I need to start doing something under her hood outside looks good, but under hood looks so stock and plain.

Last edited:
Back