What is the relearning process for a blanked out computer

metalman

I replaced by battery yesterday with an Optima Drycell. I had the battery disconnected for about half an hour and blanked out the computer. Now, with the new Optima, the car runs ruff at idle and stalls. Why is that? Is there a relearning procedure or does is just take time?

Thanks,
Metalman

Yip, it's just relearning the idle...
When disconnecting my battery for a little while, I always start the car without touching the gas pedal and I let it idle for a few minutes. Supposedly this is to help speed up the process.

BobGPz said:
Yip, it's just relearning the idle...
When disconnecting my battery for a little while, I always start the car without touching the gas pedal and I let it idle for a few minutes. Supposedly this is to help speed up the process.

So, Just drive it normally with any special tricks, and it will find itself soon?....I hope.

Yeah, that's all I do. But I also try not to mess with the gas pedal for a few minutes when it is first started (after it has been unhooked from the battery). Might make some weird starts, and seem off for a few days..but that is usually normal..

Idle Relearn Process

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/computerrelearn.php Note: this is only for idle relearn. I personally had no luck doing it as stated therein. It wasen't until I removed the SPOUT connector did the computer accually adjust the engines air/fuel and idle speed. So, I recommend that you pull the SPOUT connector before you start the proceedure. Also, a minute is not long enough. While in park, drive, and neutral, watch the tach and vacuum gauges. When they settle into a constant spot, then you have it. Reconnect the SPOUT connector, and everything should remain the same, but now you have timming advance back.

There is also a relearn process for drivability or the car. After the idle relearn, you need to perform this proceedure as well. I had the information on how to do it when I was a member of www.alldatadiy.com, but my subscription ran out recently. From what I can remember, you have to drive the car in a prescribed manner, and perform tasks with the brakes, transmission an so on. I think there's like 5 runs you have to do befor you're done. If I find my notes on it, I'll present them here, but more then likely, somebody out there has that information already posted somewhere. Personally, I just drive the car, but I really should do the relearn proceedure, as maybe I would get better gas milleage?

Back