Cam Sensor

Hoffman90SC

Recently my car would start to cut out and the tac would lose its signal. I've got a basic understanding of the dis and at best I believe the cam sensor to be the proablem. Someone told me that if the plugs retaining clip to the sensor was broke it would allow it to walk out of the plug in. Just looking for some input. Also it often times acts as though its in the get home mode for the ignition. It wont fire right and its got plenty of fuel. I read that if the dis is off it will still fire but the actual lead cylinder wont be set and that it take a couple tries to start it.
Dustin

if the plug fell off re-attach it with tie-wraps, one tie on the cam sensor wire, one on the cam sensor housing connector and another one cinching the two together. Or put a dab of silicone sealer on the side of connector and slide it back on.

It varies a bit by model years (i.e. 89-93 v 94/95) - however if it's hard to start and the tach swings wildly or not at all, then generally it leads towards a faulty crank sensor. If the idle is rough and it stumbles from time to time with a CEL code of '214' then it's probably a bad or coroded Cam Stator (top part of the cam sensor). If it feels like it's missing on one cylinder and hard to drive, plus the CEL is indicating a 'coil circuit failure code' then it leads towards a bad DIS.
Hope that helps.

Back