what would it take?

moore89

What would it take to keep up with or beat a 2000 mustang cobra convertable 5 speed? The only mod is an off road h pipe with dual flowmasters out the rear.
I currently drive a 1990 35th anny. auto with 3.27 limited slip. I know the auto is a bad way to start but I am just curious what it would take, could it be done for $3000. I already have a freshened up stock engine and a rebuilt aod.

No such thing as a 2000 Cobra convertible. Ford was busy with the recall for lack of power on all of the 99 Cobras, and didn't build any 2000 model year Cobras, other than the special Cobra R model (which was a coupe only). So it's either a 1999 or 2001. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

Poser?

fast Ed N said:
So it's either a 1999 or 2001.
or a Poser!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it have a 4V engine? Pretend you don't know schitt about Cobras, & ask to see the motor. Maybe it's just a regular SOHC that he's trying to pass off as a Cobra.

What years (if any) were there Cobra verts?

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
What years (if any) were there Cobra verts?

68COUGAR

Cobras were offered as a convertible in all the years of regular production, except the 93 Fox body cars. So 94 - 99, 01, 03, 04.

cheers,
Ed N.

Cobra or NOT Cobra, That IS the Question?

fast Ed N said:
Cobras were offered as a convertible in all the years of regular production, except the 93 Fox body cars. So 94 - 99, 01, 03, 04.
Think about this? If YOU owned a REAL Cobra, wouldn't you know enough about Cobras, to know if someone was feeding you a line of **** about Cobras? WHO gives false facts about the Cobra they "supposedly own"?

Hmmmmmmmmm?

68OUGAR

13.8 @ 102

Those numbers sound correct to each other.

So you're problem now becomes, how do you Beat 13.8 @ 102 with $3000.00?
With an auto Anniv.? The short answer is that it can't be done!!

Your '90 SC auto is a solid 16.0 sec car. If you want to take 2 seconds off a stock time, you're gonna spend Way More that $3K.

BTDT!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Dump those 3.27's for a set of 3.73's for starters. Then custom exhaust, & open up the intake side of the engine. If you're a smart shopper, & buy most of your stuff used, you might be able to get into the 13's for $3000.

Thanks for the replies. The car is in fact a cobra I have seen it's engine and ridden in it. If I can't beat it with my car for under $3000 that's fine with me. I understand that they will buit faster from the factory. On a side note I got off the phone with my dad last night and he informed me that he is getting rid of all his sc parts and two of his sc's. I may get some parts for free out of this. The parts are: 95 supercharger with 90 5% od pulley, bbk tb not sure on the size, another intercooler for DIC mod, a modified factory top (raised), an intercooler fan w/o wiring kit, set of stock 95 injectors, a pair of 94 cylinder heads to work on, pair of factory v6 mustang headers with collectors modified to fit, catless 2.5" downtubes and a complete fel pro gasket set. and I'll still have about $3000 to burn. I am thinking of having a local shop port the blower and match all the intake parts the lightly port the heads and polish only the exhaust side. I like the Idea of 3.73 gears with a trac lock rebuild kit too.

If you don't think it's cheating, a 75-100HP shot of NOS will help you get there a bit easier and cheaper. ;-)

Just make sure you have those gaskets swapped in already. :D

Back