Something bad happened today

unclenick

The SC popped a head gasket today, yep...I was mosquito control for Leesburg! Well, I have 5 days to rip it apart, send the spare heads out, get it all cleaned up, stud the heads and put back together.....nothing like a little pressure :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will be at track running on Sunday or it will kill me for sure!

5 days and counting......................

unclenick said:
The SC popped a head gasket today, yep...I was mosquito control for Leesburg! Well, I have 5 days to rip it apart, send the spare heads out, get it all cleaned up, stud the heads and put back together.....nothing like a little pressure :eek: :eek: :eek:

bummer man...hope you get her done by then!

unclenick said:

gidderdun!

Nick... Look on the bright side. It is better to have blown the HG's in town as opposed to 50 miles away in Bithlo :eek:

Bryan

Man, sounds like you're going to have a busy week. Good that it happen close to home and the shop.

kamakazie_1 said:
Ok guys, do I need to fuel up the truck and find a trailer for this event Sunday??

RJ

Seeing how I will NO time to test this car before event, that might be an awsome idea! I'll pay for fuel....LOL

I got alot done today, I am ready to snatch heads off. I am down to valve covers. Everything is off the car, all brackets, PS pump, everything. It looks so empty in there now. :eek: Luckily, I had the spare heads off the other car off and already sent them out. I will have them back tomorrow and am going to stay LATE tomorow night at shop to stud the heads on the car. I will have the new radiator Friday morning and by Friday afternoon, she should run....hopefully! :eek: :eek:

Talk about cutting it close! :eek:

It will be back together before the event, even if I have to pull a 24 hr on Friday night/Sat morning!

4 days left and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stud the heads on the car.
From the dumb question department: Are you putting studs in the block instead of using head bolts? What is the advantage of studding the heads?

Kurt

XR7Kurt said:
From the dumb question department: Are you putting studs in the block instead of using head bolts? What is the advantage of studding the heads?

Kurt

From what I have heard, no pre stressed bolts, hold the heads better at more boost, no warpage, ect.

Yes, studs in the block to hold the heads on. No more crappy OE streching head bolts!

Sweet90SC said:
Man you guys got that thing snatched apart fast!!

Ok as of 8:00 am the heads are off, the rear right cylinder is the one where the HG blew! Now we are playing the waiting game, as the new heads are not done yet......... It is killing me just sitting there all gutted apart!

I will have the heads on tonight, maybe even can hear it run! Wish me luck!

3 1/2 days and counting.......... :eek:

If your car has egr it usually causes the #3 cylinder to overheat causing the gasket failure. One tip for a longer lasting head gasket get the engine coolant temp down. 180 degree thermostat and a chip to readjust your fan on/off temps. Poor coolant circulation around the #3 cylinder has always been a problem on the 3.8L engine. Additional heat provided by the EGR does not help.

Rich

Hey Man

Hey It Is Tommysc If U Need A Hand Let My Dad Know And He Will Tellmeand I Will Be There I Am Off Friday Night So If U Need Me I Willbe There I Need To Work Off That Rearend I Got Frome U Let Me Know Some Something Soon

Tommy Sc

Sweet90SC said:
And I'm off tomorow so I'll be over in the A.M... ;)

The heads and intake are on :D :D :D

It is smooth sailing from here! I should be able to hear it run tomorrow. I am still waiting for a few parts. I have a few wire harness plugs to fix. A few broke when taking them off in 30 degree weather, but the parts car has a good wire harness so no problem!

Now, I am still waiting for the custom 3 row radiator and the B&M shifter to arrive. The drag radials arrived today :D :D

Hopefully, it will be done by tomorrow nite. :eek:

2 days and counting................ :eek: :eek:

tommy SC said:
Hey It Is Tommysc If U Need A Hand Let My Dad Know And He Will Tellmeand I Will Be There I Am Off Friday Night So If U Need Me I Willbe There I Need To Work Off That Rearend I Got Frome U Let Me Know Some Something Soon

Tommy Sc

Thanks alot man, the support from you guys is awsome, but it looks like the deadline is going to be met...on time ;)

Did the rear end take care of the noise on your car?

I'm still comming over tomorrow I'm wanna swipe a couple of interior trim screws from ole blue... :D ....

Oh and about your old heads.... :D

Last edited:
Back