starting problem

35TH5SPEED

I replaced the starter, and the solinoid on the fender, and just recently when i start the car, it will run, but the starter will just keep trying to start the car, even after i turn the key off, the motor will stop, but it still is cranking over. so i took the starter out and had it tested, it was fine no probelms. then i replaced the soliniod on fender and it went away. its been two weeks and just today i go to start it and it does it. so i turn it off and go to yank the battery positive and it stops on its own. i start it up right after that and no problems. if anyone knows what could be the problem please let me know.

Next time the starter motor continues to run, pull out the small red connector at the small terminal of the starter relay on the fender. If the starter motor stops, then you have a bad ignition switch. If it continues to run, then you're back to the starter relay and motor.

Thanks for the advice, it was the ignition switch. Starts much beter now and saves me the hastle of checking the relays and anything else.

Great and thanks for posting the solution. The starter relay's terminals are a good starting point for diagnosing many starting problems.

Back