cut off the mufflers

whitebird

would like to cut off the mufflers and straight pipe from the resonaters back,never having a sc v -six,i am not sure of the sound,i know its a hard question,but anyone who has chevy small blocks running thu ,say a pair of cherry bombs,might be able to draw a comparision.....thanks for your help and any suggestions you might have................92 sc..white.........len

I used to have a 76 camaro with headers bolted to glasspacks and no pipes. It sounded great only cause it was a v8. It also created alot of heat and the volume of the sound was illegal. I got away with it for a year until it was totaled, but the supercoupe wouldnt sound that good with no mufflers. I have magnaflows on mine and they sound great. Plus you will burn up your valves because there is less back pressure.

In one of my exhaust trys I cut the mufflers out and it really sounded like crap. Ricey to say the least.

I cut the mufflers off my car and the cats, only had the stock resonator in the middle. It was louder at idle and it sounded ok I thought. But it had a terrible drone at 70 mph around 2000-2600 rpm. I got sick of it and put some cheap mufflers on from Auto Zone. But I am going to be getting new pipes, resonator, and mufflers soon. This was on my 90 AOD.

I ran my 89 for a while without the muffs and it sounded better than stock, not ricey until I removed the resonator. Now im getting sick of it and going to weld in a Flowmaster in place of the Resonator.

Been pulled over twice for it but not written yet and both times they ask about the "SUPERCHARGED" banner across my back glass lol. hehehe :D

I've had mine cut off for the last 1 1/2 years without a problem. You get a little drone from 1800-2200 RPM's, but it's not bad. Most of the people I know that have T-Birds think they sound ok.

Burn up the valves? That would be the opposite if you figure that the valves will work easier by not having to work with so much backpressure. Plus its not like we are working with high compression engines here in the first place. Besides, youre saving your head gakets in the long run, thats a benefit in itself.

The only way to burn a valve from too little exhaust is to have the exhaust so short, that backpressure sucks cold air from outside all the way back into the chamber. About the only way that is going to happen is if you start the car with no exhaust manifolds in place. If that was true, then every car at the track would be burning up valves constantly, since they run open headers.

FREEFLOW RESONATOR AND SOME GLASSPACKS OR SOMETHING FREEFLOW IN THE BACK, UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A FIERO WITH A RUSTED MUFFLER WHILE YOU THINK YOU ARE KING SHIAT MAKING ALL SORTS OF COOL NOISES :rolleyes:

I did that to mine and just put new pipe in where the mufflers used to be. Did sound bad at all and was still really quit inside. Never got to hear it from the outside until I removed everything behind the resonator and it still didn't sound bad. Though it was louder and deeper at idle and it did have a very slight drone in the 2000-3000 rpm range. You could really hear the air pushing then.

Loud

I'm running no cats and no mufflers with the Borla two in and one out resonator (or is that a muffler?). It's loud, even at idle. I've been asked, by a number of people, if I'm running straight pipes.

When I step on it and get into the boost it's makes a deep, but not V-8 deep, "blatting/roar" sound. I tell people that's the thunder in Thunderbird.

The main thing I don't like about the setup is that it draws too much attention as in "I'm over here Mr. Policeman."

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

I ran mine like that for awhile using a Dynomax cat-back minus the mufflers. It sounded like a.. well, tractor.

its like the guys with the civics and the fart pipes, you look over at them and giggle or laugh when they are thinking like "OMG HE THNKS MY RICERS SO FN HOOOOT" :cool:

WhiteThunder said:
I'm running no cats and no mufflers with the Borla two in and one out resonator (or is that a muffler?). It's loud, even at idle. I've been asked, by a number of people, if I'm running straight pipes.

When I step on it and get into the boost it's makes a deep, but not V-8 deep, "blatting/roar" sound. I tell people that's the thunder in Thunderbird.

The main thing I don't like about the setup is that it draws too much attention as in "I'm over here Mr. Policeman."

Haha I basically have the same setup. Ill second what he said. Its like waving a red flag at a bull.

Ill second what he said. Its like waving a red flag at a bull.

I'll also second that motion. When its at idle it doesnt sound bad at all given that I have gutted cats, no resonator and no mufflers but anything other than idle and its like passing a cop in a Boeing during takeoff.

However, on a positive note, every ricer will think twice at a stoplight before jumping on me. Some friends think it sounds pretty good anywhere above 3000. For some reason I just love how it screams in the high rpms but I sacrifice stealth and driveability.

Noisy exhaust drone....I have a knob on my stereo that nullifies drone..... ;)

Back