Speedometer needle flickering

91SCRed

Just recently, my speedometer needle has started flickering when I am going less than 35 mph. At 20 mph or lower, it occasionally goes dead for a few seconds before it comes back to the speed I am going, and during the time it is dead, the odometer isn't registering...

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I don't want to go to long with this problem is case it gets worse.

Mine "jumps" every now and then at a stop ( something I've witnessed in a few other SC's as well ), but dosen't act up quite the same way yours is. I would try taking the dash bezel off and making sure the head is seated firmly into the connectors, it could be losing contact.
Not hard to do,and a good place to start.

Could be the head going bad, but try the easy stuff first. Let us know if you need help.

Last edited:

i would check to make sure that everything is securely connected on the back side of the cluster...mainly the one on the left side to fix the speedo

Mine used to do that and it turned out to be the Cam Shaft Sensor. Found this out after replacing the $600 computer. Do not replace the computer!

thanks for the info

Thank you for the info. I will try and look at the connections. I recently had the Cam and speed sensors replaced and no exhaust work has been done on the car.

Anymore suggestions would definitely help out.

Flickering speedo and camshaft sensor.....

Not that I doubt that the cam sensor fixed your problem with the speedometer, but my question is, what does the cam sensor have anything to do with the speedometer? They are a different circuit are they not? Doesn't the speedo run off a sender on the transmission? That unit off the speedometer gear?

Thanks

Phil

Did you ever determine the cause of your speedometer problem? My '94 appears to be doing the exact same thing. Speedometer does nothing and then will suddenly jump up to whatever speed is. I'm guess something is lose (hmm is that obvious? ;-) ) as opposed to being broken necessarily. Any advice muchly appreciated.

Paul

PS I haven't changed ANYTHING with the car as I just started driving it yesterday. According to the very detailed manual from the previous owner, it doesn't look like they did anything that would have affected it either. The car was bought for a 2nd hand car dealer (brr - quaking with fear) so there is a possibility of foul play.

Speed sensor on the transmission.

Luckily I had a spare unit and dropped it in (actually, bolted it to the transmission), and it solved the problem totally

There are two separate problems.

1. Erratic needle, jumps, goes dead, etc.
This sounds like a loose connection or bad sensor.

2. Needle does not move after starting from a dead stop. Then suddenly jumps to correct speed. Smooth from then on.
I have this problem. If the needle stays at zero but you are cruising at, say 30 mph, just tap the trip odometer knob. The needle should jump to the correct speed. The needle assembly is rubbing on speedometer somewhere. You have to take the cluster off and find where it is sticking. Could be the needle bearing sticking. In that case, just a drop of light weight sewing machine oil should fix it. I have bothered to fix it since this is the least of my problems.....

I had that problem on my 95'

Ford's solution? Replace the whole cluster.

It was under warranty, so what can I say?

Back