English and Grammar classes @the SCCoA?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Has anybody noticed the increasing number of threads in which people attempt to critizise other's spelling? Im so sorry, but i've read quite a few of these 'dont mean to be rude but...' responses in several threads in a matter of days. Frankly, i've grown tired of it. In my opinion this is 1-a car forum, not an english or a grammar class. 2- its not necessary for anybody to use 'proper' rules of grammar or english...yes, if the person can get their point across effectively, us, the rest of the posters can help him/her out better. So its in the posters best interest to do so..but if they dont, then its his/her choice. 3-Regardless of spelling, most of the time people post here to get help with their car. The motto of the club stands in the front page as "dedicated to the preservation and performance of the 89-95 thunderbird super coupe and 89-90 cougar xr-7", and it doesnt say "dedicated to make you a great speaker and writer of the english language." Keep that in mind. All of us have had 'those days' in which spelling right is just not a priority, i know i've done it.

I guess the point that im trying to make is, if you have nothing to say about the subject of the thread or something somehow related to it, hold back your comment....specially if its grammar related. If you feel that the grammar is awful, just dont bother replying. Its the risk the poster has to take when THEY dont take the time to write properly. If they dont write properly, they might get no help...period. If by anychance I am perhaps wrong, then the club membership and officers might want to establish 'grammar rules' and enforce them.

What do you guys think? .......but regardless, thanx for allowing me to vent. I've just seen too many of these....literaly like 7 or 8 displays in a matter of a couple days...and in two or three forums. I just got overwhelmed.

My problem is my fingers are too fat and some times I press 2 keys at once or maybe im just trashed on anything I can get. :D

Well I am a bad speller plus.But I think people understand me.
I have had people get on me.So I am not as smart in spelling
as some of the SCCoA english teachers.But when I walk in
my shop,and they stand next to me.They are BONEHEADS. :p

One thing is for sure I can live just fine without being around
pencil pushers.But they cannot make it with machine work.
Because they would have no pencils or key boards,ect.

Randy

CaifanSC said:
....but regardless, thanx for allowing me to vent...
You spelled "Thanks" wrong... :D Just kidding CaifanSC. :p ;)

I understand your point, and I could care less on someones spelling, but I will say that it does make it easier for me to read someones post when they can use "." or "," key now and then. I've seen some posts where I can't understand them because they have 5 questions, and not one comma or period to seperate the whole post. I end up reading it 3 times to understand it, and if I post on it, I get my @$$ jumped on cause it wasn't clear what the question was in the first palce. :confused:
There's no need to ridicule anybody for their spelling, as some on here have done, but is it politically incorrect to nicely ask them to use the comma or period key as to better help understand them? Is there a way to say "I don't mean to be rude but..." without offending anyone?

Habla español y dejate de chingaderas. De todos modos todos estos weyes no saben ni que chingados esta pasando ;) Vente al TBU, alla estan 7 de los "Top 10"

I'm in agreement with everyone here up intil Al posted. I may also be in agreement with him, however I have no idea what the hell he said. LOL!!!
I particuliarly liked and agree with Randy's statement. Prehaps turnabout is fair play in that instance, so when one of the spelling bee's asks a technical qeustion about there engine, tranny or such maybe we should just scolled them real good for not knowing the answer to there own qeustion. :D

I can see how it gets a little excessive when people are correcting everyone elses spelling problems. But there are a few posters on here that most people have a hard time understanding a word they are saying. And it is not just one post, it is every post.

-Steve

We all misspell(spelling-LOL) sometimes or not use the correct punctuation. It does make it easier to understand and help someone looking for help if we can undertsand the question. So in the name of fair play, we need a perfect spelling not needed law or something. Maybe we could call it the Prick Rule? Nope! To edgy and George would never go for it. How about the Jim Demmitt Jr Law? Nah, just forget it.

All kidding aside, I guess if Al can post in spanish, then what anyone post in english will have to be acceptable.

Mucho bueno amigos?

I can see right now that this thread is going to get me in trouble.

NCredSC I would say JIM D. has forgot more than you will ever know.
You need to stick your attitude and mouth were the sun dosent shine.

I have never read a post, that Jim has written ,that I could not understand.
Maybe your the one with the small pea-brain.

RANDY

Last edited:
I am certainly not defending anyone, but when a post is well-constructed grammatically and spelling errors are not abundant, I am more inclined to listen to someone. If someone is haphazard with his or her writing abilities that would probably lead me to believe he or she cares about as much for the current topic is.

Remember, your online persona is sometimes the only impression we get of you, and you're going to riddle it with grammar mistakes and spelling errors? :eek:

Anyways, post however you want! It's a free BBS...

SCCoA FACTS

There is no spelling rules.

There are rules aganst belittleing others in a post.

So maybe a hand full of you brainy-acts should find another place
to do your bad mouthing.Just to feed your not so well rounded
tiny brains incased in your big heads.

Its plain to see, some are very good spellers on the SCCoA.
To bad ,your to dumb, and self centered ,to be able to read
others posts.or the SCCoA rules.

I know which group I would give the boot to.

RANDY

Last edited:
I understand that some people can't spell very well, and don't really know how to use proper punctuation. That is fine to a point. As long as you effectively get the point across clearly. I have read posts not just here, but on other boards as well that is one run on sentence, and you really have a hard time following what the person is trying to say or ask.

Besides, I've gotten used to reading screwed up spelling, I talk to OzzmanG149 through YIM quite often...... :p

I once saw a great marquee in front of some tool rental place that read, "Bad Spellers Of The World; UNTIE!"

Well, I have to agree that this is a car forum and not a spelling bee. As long as I can understand what someone is actually saying I don't really care. It may reflect on someone's education level but it really isn't that important. Correct spelling and grammar does look and read better, though. The only thing that really bothers me is people who write and say "I seen" instead of "I saw," but I wouldn't dream of getting on someone's case about it publicly. I do go back and correct my own spelling since I tend to hit 2 keys at once a lot. Maybe we can get one of the moderators to check each post and correct the spelling? No? I didn't think so.

I'll add one more thing..
I failed 7th, 9th, 10th, and half of 8th grade english classes. I think I don't to bad considering my past education in that area. However, when I post, I at least put forth an effort to have consideration of the people trying to help with my question. I try and make it clear enough for them to understand, and this might be off topic, but I try to be respectful and considerate of others on here without mocking anyone unless it is just funning around and they know it. Some people could lighten up a bit.
After all, it is a CAR club and not a spelling club. You know if this was a "SC Black Leather Shift Knob Club of America", I think people would still jump all over everyone else. Thinking their "Shift Knob" is the only right kind and no other way to improve/repair knob. Hey, let's cut down anyone with any ideas to make the square wheel roll better, or travel the flat earth. Just human nature I guess.. :rolleyes:

Bad spelling and grammar irks me a bit sometimes. But as long as I can make sense of what the person is trying to communicate, that's what's important.

cheers,
Ed N.

Another thing to remember, English is a 2nd language to many on here. I can carry on a conversation with people in 4 languages, BUT I sure would be in trouble if had had to do it in writing, with proper spelling in the other language. If this was a discussion forum in a school, that everyone spoke english as there 1st language, then you could expect something different. Use the forums to transfer information, not criticism for trivial stuff.

Back